wood question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

reents

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Aug 19, 2007
monticello, Indiana
I have apple tree that was cut down and have wood to use for smokeing
should it season for around 6 months or can i use it sooner

It is best and preferable to use wood that is seasoned. Some will tell you that it is okay to use green wood - but they are probably using full blown stick burners and usually pre-heat their wood before putting in in the fire box.

Basically I'm saying you should let it season before using it. But that's my opinion.

Let it season, Depending on the size of the wood, I would say at least a year.

Gypsyseagod has a cool trick that requires duct tape........I,ll let him explain it.
PDT_Armataz_01_18.gif

I think you will get mixed results; so here's the first half of the 2 kinds of answers you're probably going to get:

I like my apple dry dry dry. I mean when I split it, I want it to sound like a broken baseball bat clanking together. So, I say at least 6 months. The stuff I'm using this year, I cut down early last summer.

If you have a bunch, and don't mind wasting a small percentage, you could start a fire outside your smoker and cook the green apple down to embers. Then scoop the embers into your smoker. Much less chance of creosote buildup.

I will mention that I'm a wierdo when it comes to apple. I like to cut thin slivers of the stuff and set it on a hot plate in the house, just for the sweet smell (yea, I get in trouble from the boss!)

Some woods, especially fruit wood will loose a lot of flavor power if kept too long.However you want to dry it to some extent.If wood is cut after the sap has went down in the fall I feel it is ready to use.Without the sap in it you wont get the bad taste but there is still enough moisture in the wood to aid in getting a longer burn and smoke out of a chunk.

In my opinion @ 6 months you should be OK with preheating it. Even better is Geek with Fire's suggestion of burning it to embers & putting those embers in the smoker
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

I'm the stick burner, i have cut a "green" apple tree down and smoked with it the next day, but i have a good bed of "dryed" oak coals burning. If the coals arnt hot, you may get a not so desirable flavor from green wood being used.

I used spring trimmings in the fall and fall trimmins in the spring - I cut it to size and stack it in a dry place until it's ready.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky