Wood Logs or Charcoal Basket?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

burksmoke

Smoke Blower
Original poster
OTBS Member
Nov 27, 2005
North Central Texas
I use an offset smoker, the firebox is made from 24" diameter pipe and it is approximately 30 long. I have been using logs for fuel and smoke. My question is, will using a charcoal basket and chrcoal for fuel and sticks or chunks of wood for smoke make controlling the temp. easier? I really don't have any trouble now but I was wondering it anyone could shed the light on any advantages or disadvantages of the two methods.

Depending on the brand and type of charcoal used you can generate quite a bit of ash. It will take a considerable amount of charcoal to heat a large smoker so ash build-up could be a problem. Another issue to consider is cost, charcoal will cost more that wood sticks.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky