• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Wood Logs or Charcoal Basket?

burksmoke

Smoke Blower
OTBS Member
Joined Nov 27, 2005
I use an offset smoker, the firebox is made from 24" diameter pipe and it is approximately 30 long. I have been using logs for fuel and smoke. My question is, will using a charcoal basket and chrcoal for fuel and sticks or chunks of wood for smoke make controlling the temp. easier? I really don't have any trouble now but I was wondering it anyone could shed the light on any advantages or disadvantages of the two methods.

bob-bqn

Smoking Fanatic
OTBS Member
Joined Aug 5, 2005
Depending on the brand and type of charcoal used you can generate quite a bit of ash. It will take a considerable amount of charcoal to heat a large smoker so ash build-up could be a problem. Another issue to consider is cost, charcoal will cost more that wood sticks.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.