Wood in the firebox

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

erik

Fire Starter
Original poster
Sep 8, 2009
Belleville, MI
I have an ECB and typically, I just throw my flavor wood (Apple, Cherry, or Hickory chunks in various combinations) right on top of the charcoal. Would it be better to throw them in something like a small coffee can? Not a ton of room in the ECB firepit, but maybe that would get the wood smoldering longer?

I have never used a ecb but when I use chips which is not very often I wrap them in tinfoil and punch some holes in the foil with a toothpick. I have also used a empty tuna or chunk chicken can filled it with chips coverd the top in foil and punch a few holes in the top of the foil.
The chips seem to burn a little longer in the can. That may be a good way for you to go if you have limited space. Hope this helps..
icon_smile.gif

P.S. make sure you take the papaer label off the can before using it and if it leaves behind glue remove that as well.

erik, i have a propane converted ecb which i have grate with lava rock setting above the burner, went and bought me a wood chip box at lowes i think it was $9.00 i pack it with soaked wood chips and small chunks of various kinds of wood it usually last between 2 to 2 1/2 hours. don't know how it would work with charcoal hope this helps.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky