Wood chips?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bestee

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jun 26, 2007
I have a firebox smoker (Oklahoma Joe). I primarily use charcoal as a base, and then use mesquite chips (I live in switzerland so getting other flavors is a challenge, although am getting some fruit tree chips sent over). My question is this: how many handfuls of chips should be put on? I tend to just make sure a constant smoke is coming, but am ripping through chips. Should I go with less? will there be enough flavor?

I would love to post pics of my most recent smoke (a full grill of 10lbs of babybacks...but I am over the kb limit at 127kb and max is 97...having difficulties resizing it.

Thanks for the help

soak chips 30 minutes befor putting them in foil...
icon_mrgreen.gif

I am a believer that you get most of your real smoke flavor in the first couple of hours.

After that I just use lump charcoal to keep the heat.

I am ready for everybody to yell at me now!! lol

Bestee -

Use just enough chips to smell the smoke add a small handful at a time. See how that works for you. I like fruitwoods for smoke!

Adb - I agree, but that doesn't mean you get no smoke flavor the rest of the time. Charcoal gives a bit of smokey taste all by itself. That being said, I use wood anytime the meats on the smoker unwrapped.

If you must use chips, either soak them or wrap them in foil, or both if you are really having a challenge.

As far as the pictures go, here in the US there is a program called Paint.NET that is a free image editor. If you can read English, then there shouldn't be a problem for you to use it!

icon_redface.gif
OK I'm ready to get hallored at but I think is you soak your wood chips before putting them on the coal that they have to dry out before they start smoking. I thint that just putting them in alumn. foil with a couple holws would be a better way.
tongue.gif
So be it

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky