Wood chips?

Discussion in 'Wood Smokers' started by bestee, Aug 7, 2007.

1. bestee

bestee Fire Starter

I have a firebox smoker (Oklahoma Joe). I primarily use charcoal as a base, and then use mesquite chips (I live in switzerland so getting other flavors is a challenge, although am getting some fruit tree chips sent over). My question is this: how many handfuls of chips should be put on? I tend to just make sure a constant smoke is coming, but am ripping through chips. Should I go with less? will there be enough flavor?

I would love to post pics of my most recent smoke (a full grill of 10lbs of babybacks...but I am over the kb limit at 127kb and max is 97...having difficulties resizing it.

Thanks for the help

2. squeezy

squeezy Master of the Pit OTBS Member

If you can't get chunks, try foiling your chips with a few holes punched in the top, will slow down the burn as it keeps the air away.

Hope that helps.

3. larry maddock

larry maddock Master of the Pit OTBS Member

soak chips 30 minutes befor putting them in foil...[​IMG]

4. adb551

adb551 Smoke Blower

I am a believer that you get most of your real smoke flavor in the first couple of hours.

After that I just use lump charcoal to keep the heat.

I am ready for everybody to yell at me now!! lol

5. deejaydebi

deejaydebi Smoking Guru

Bestee -

Use just enough chips to smell the smoke add a small handful at a time. See how that works for you. I like fruitwoods for smoke!

Adb - I agree, but that doesn't mean you get no smoke flavor the rest of the time. Charcoal gives a bit of smokey taste all by itself. That being said, I use wood anytime the meats on the smoker unwrapped.

6. ajthepoolman

ajthepoolman Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

If you must use chips, either soak them or wrap them in foil, or both if you are really having a challenge.

As far as the pictures go, here in the US there is a program called Paint.NET that is a free image editor. If you can read English, then there shouldn't be a problem for you to use it!

7. [​IMG] OK I'm ready to get hallored at but I think is you soak your wood chips before putting them on the coal that they have to dry out before they start smoking. I thint that just putting them in alumn. foil with a couple holws would be a better way. [​IMG] So be it

8. [​IMG] Sorry about the spelling , Fat fingers and tiny keys [​IMG]