Wood chips and charcoal question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jacobtia

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Feb 24, 2011
Central Illinois
So, being a newbie I have a question. I have used my smoker 4 times. Each time I get the fire box going with lump charcoal. Then periodically I throw on a handful of wood chips throughout the smoking process. My questions is:

Should I do this or purchase a cast iron chip box so my chips dont catch fire?

I am trying to get a hold of some fruit wood so I can just use an all wood fire to smoke with. But, until I can do so I am wondering the proper technique with the charcoal/chip combo.

Last edited:
have you tried using chunks instead of chips?

I used to use both chips and chunks for different things

Yes, I used hickory chunks the first time. But, I like a mellower smoke flavor and found that apple wood gives me that.

When I add the chips I get a burst of thick white smoke. This stops after the chips burn off a bit. From what I've read I don't want thick white smoke. I haven't noticed any bitter taste to anything I've smoked.

So, is the thick white smoke to be expected when adding chips to charcoal?

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky