winter project found my tank

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dforbes

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Feb 18, 2008
I ran across these tanks at one of my customers. They were going to scrap them out, so I got them free. I know most of the builds i have seen on the forum people are looking to build a bigger smoker. I am looking to build something a little smaller. I already have a large trailer smoker and fire it up often to do a couple of butts or 2 or 3 slabs of ribs for the family. I will still use it for my catering and large events but want a stationary smoker for the house. This has been on my list for a long time but I am going to get it done this winter. The original plan was not reverse flow but after seeing BBQ Engineers build, I am changing the design. Once the plans are complete I will post for suggestions and comments.
545cd3df_vbattach22887.jpg

193ae53d_vbattach22888.jpg

Let me guess your a plumber. Thoses tanks to me look like bldder tanks for a well and if they are I think that they will be just thin walled. I have changed out mine a couple of times and they were not very heavy metal.

they were part of a commercial filtration system. I havent had a chance to look them over good but they were heaver than heck to pick up. I was told they were 3/16. We will see.

Thats still gonna be a killer sized smoker. Look forward to your build. Please keep us posted.

I'm anxious to watch your build. I have one currently under way, with two 250's sitting. And a 2000 that i have NO idea what to do with. Good luck and keep us updated!

Sounds like a great project takes lots of pics for us

Sounds like a nice winter project... Keep us posted with lots of Qview on the progress of the build... If you need any Hinges, or Thermometers or other parts you might check. www.kck.com they carry lots of parts for building your own...

Thanks for the link. I have some heavy duty hinges that I got at an auction one time and am going to try to use, but I definatly will be buying some parts. looks like they have everything I need. My brother lives in kc so when I get my list together I'll go pick it up.

I'd say if they are at least 1/4" thickness steel, or better yet - 3/16" - then you got a helluva deal. At first I too thought they might be thin-walled water heater type tanks, but when I look closely, I think I can see some real welds!
Good luck on the build, can't wait to watch it. I also really like that big smoker of yours! If you haven't already, you should post more pics - of the inside...looks like a real unique smoker. Have fun...

Hey DForbes,

Thanks for the shout out on my smoker build...I can't wait to see what you put together with those tanks. I would bet that they are at least 3/16 and maybe thicker...The price was definitely right...you know my motto...if it's free, it's me! Be sure to take lots of pics and document your build. We can all learn from the process and ideas that you come up with.

Good Luck!

Now that sounds like a fun project for the winter. Keep us posted on the progress, and include some pics too. Good luck my friend.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky