Wings and Drumsticks - first attempt

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

carolinadoug

Fire Starter
Original poster
Nov 18, 2016

2 weeks with my MES - love it already.  I've done some porkloins and some ribs, but woke up yesterday thinking about Wings for game day.

With holiday travel, didn't have prep for anything and wanted a short 3-5 hr smoke.  Picked up 5 lbs of wings and 5 lbs of drumsticks.

Got them home and rinsed them with some water to get them thawing and to prep for some rub.

Used a brown sugar, paprika, garlic, onion, chili powder mix for a rub.

Threw them in a bowl with a lid and shook the rub onto the wings and drumsticks - pretty easy and decent coverage.

Meanwhile I got the smoker up to 200* on the way to 275* and loaded all 4 racks.  I put the drumsticks closest to the heat and closed up for 75* of applewood smoking.

Quickly the temp dropped to 130-135* and even at the 75* mark was just back up to 191.

Cold wings/drumsticks must have really crushed the temps.  

Pulled them out and applied some sauce - combination of teriyaki, hot sauce, butter and brown sugar.

Coated both sides and put back in the smoker for another 90 minutes and finally got the smoker up to 275-280* before it finished.

Pull them out - got the pan to the counter with some sauces for dipping and let everyone enjoy.

The turned out awesome.  Nice gentle applewood smoke flavor and cooked tender, tasty and really happy with this process.

All told - maybe 3 -3.5 hrs start to finish and shared with a few neighbors that were craving a taste after smelling the smoke all day while we were outside putting Christmas decorations out.

Next up - Brisket.  Can't wait to give it a shot!  I'm addicted to smoking meat already! 

Last edited:
Doug, Sounds great but you know the rules..............Without pics, it never happened
sausage.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky