• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Wings and brining??

stayhot

Meat Mopper
Joined Jul 12, 2011
Making a ton of wings this weekend for my sons graduation party and was wondering if you brine them prior to smoking or put them right on the smoker?

SmokinVOLfan

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
Joined Feb 27, 2018
Wings are pretty versatile. You can do about anything you would like with them. I have marinated some before and others just tossed on the smoker. Both turned out great. Congrats to your son and let us know how it all turns out! Ah man now I want to wings!

zwiller

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Nov 16, 2016
I am too cheap to buy wings as they cost more for fresh than made here but I run drums and treat like wings. Pops low salt brine is the great on them. Brine them a few days. Smoke to around 195F. Rest a few days. Apply a rub and grill. Been meaning to do a write up. Congrats too. I was asked to smoke 50lbs PP for daughters party and was of the most fulfilling things I ever did.

stayhot

Meat Mopper
Joined Jul 12, 2011
I am too cheap to buy wings as they cost more for fresh than made here but I run drums and treat like wings. Pops low salt brine is the great on them. Brine them a few days. Smoke to around 195F. Rest a few days. Apply a rub and grill. Been meaning to do a write up. Congrats too. I was asked to smoke 50lbs PP for daughters party and was of the most fulfilling things I ever did.
A few years ago I did 90#'s of pulled pork for my other son to take to work for his birthday. The next day he came home and asked if I would be interested in taking orders for some of the guys he worked with?? Almost made enough $$ to cover the cost of another smoker.......

tallbm

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Dec 30, 2016
Making a ton of wings this weekend for my sons graduation party and was wondering if you brine them prior to smoking or put them right on the smoker?
I would go with what is easiest and has best taste.
If seasoning a bunch of wings before they go on or seasoning and putting in a tub and putting in a fridge until grill time is easier then I would go that route.

If making a good marinade you know works well and throwing them in that marinade and putting in fridge until grill time is easier than I would go that route.

Now brine to me is just salt and water. If you are going for some special flavors in the brine that may be a different story but if just a brine then wings don't need it but again I would go with whatever is easiest for this cooking situation of yours.

I hope this info helps :)

chopsaw

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Dec 14, 2013
I don't smoke wings much anymore . If I find a good price , I flour and " fry " them on my gas grill .

I do inject them on whole birds or if I'm just grilling a bunch .

smokeymose

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Aug 13, 2015
I don't do wings a lot anymore because the stores want a wing and a leg for them. (sorry). Drums and thighs mostly.
Never brined them. Seems like there's not enough meat there to worry about. I used to brine thighs and whole birds but
stopped that due to the wifes new low sodium diet. We don't really miss it.

gmc2003

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Sep 15, 2012
No brining here, just fresh whole wings on high indirect heat. With a chunk of apple wood over the Vortex.

Chris

SmokinVOLfan

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
Joined Feb 27, 2018
If you want something simple you cant ever go wrong with cheap zesty Italian as a chicken marinade. I make one that is mainly the Italian with a little low sodium soy sauce, Worcestershire, garlic powder, and black pepper. Make a little extra and baste while the chicken is grilling.

kruizer

Master of the Pit
Joined Sep 7, 2015
I would suggest to marinate in a tangy Italian salad dressing over night and then cook them. Very tasty.

chopsaw

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Dec 14, 2013
Flour and fry???
Yeah . I didn't want to muddy up your thread with pics , but since you asked . Lol .
I've been messing with this for awhile , so has Chris gmc2003 gmc2003
I use the gas grill and a sheet pan with non stick foil . About 2 tablespoons of veg oil . Just a lite dusting of flour . Tray over 2 burners , keep flipping .
20190704_184249.jpg 20190704_190125.jpg
20180720_190629.jpg 20190704_190127.jpg
Do the same with chicken parts .
20191013_181659.jpg
20191013_181824.jpg

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.