Wine barrel wood?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

meatball

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
Apr 6, 2009
Gainesville, FL
My wife came across some wood that apparently is busted up wine barrels? It was at K-mart of all places and pretty cheap. Of course, she didn't pick it up for me
PDT_Armataz_01_19.gif
Anyway, before I waste time and meat, thought I'd ask if anybody has used this and what the flavor is like?

Don't get me wrong, it will work just fine. But, I wouldn't go tearing into good barrels just for the wood. Personally, I can't tell any taste difference when using the barrel wood over a good seasoned oak split.

If you are after the essence of wine in you BBQ, take a swig before you cut off the next rib! The wood is fine for smoking, but will not add an appreciable "flavor" to your next butt, or that brisket. If you can get the wood cheaply, go for it, as it will be good solid oak. Just my $.02.

icon_lol.gif
Yeah, I put some older red wine in the water pan on my last smoke and can't say it did too much to the flavor. I think I'll give this stuff a try though, as I don't have any oak right now and my wife said it was really cheap. Thanks for the feedback guys.

I live out by a a ton of wineries and at the end of the season they sell whole barrels for $25. I have bought them in the past for the wood (they make cool tables too if you throw a piece of glass on top) and although it doesnt do much for the flavor its still a bargin.

I have used those before, you don't get any whiskey flavor at all. It's all in the marketing!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky