windy, need plan b

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

$mok!ng

Fire Starter
Original poster
Apr 12, 2019
NE Michigan
Yesterday I pulled a slab of BB ribs with intentions of smoking them today. Well the wind really picked up and the temperature dropped and now it seems like smoking may be out. What are some non smoking options with these ribs? I am sure I could still smoke them but I dont think it would be enjoyable. Besides I am sure that others have had to resort to a plan b when it comes to prepped meat they cant smoke.

Crock pot is another option if you like fall off the bone ribs. Oven may be a better choice.

wow flatbroke, that was articulate and poetic, you should submit that for a pulitzer. I was looking for a comprehensive suggestion. Do I stick with jeffs rub or is something else better when not smoked? Has anyone used a crock pot? Both cook so obviously both will work. If using the oven do I add a little water to the pan?

Season the same and then put on an elevated rack with a cookie sheet under it to catch the drippings. Then ......Oven.....

A smoker is just a manual convection oven.....

Ps no water!

Reactions: TNJAKE
wow flatbroke, that was articulate and poetic, you should submit that for a pulitzer. I was looking for a comprehensive suggestion. Do I stick with jeffs rub or is something else better when not smoked? Has anyone used a crock pot? Both cook so obviously both will work. If using the oven do I add a little water to the pan?
Sorry. Didn’t realize you were challenged. Good luck.

Reactions: hopkinsb and DanMcG
wow flatbroke, that was articulate and poetic, you should submit that for a pulitzer. I was looking for a comprehensive suggestion.
1608823417313.png

Season the same and then put on an elevated rack with a cookie sheet under it to catch the drippings. Then ......Oven.....

A smoker is just a manual convection oven.....

Ps no water!

^^^This^^^

Chris

Yep put in smoker (not sure what you got) and don't open door for at least 5 hrs, you will be good to go.
Set about 275° to give fluctuations of temps

Simplest thing u can do is the following:

Season with salt, pepper, garlic, onion, and paprika all in equal parts (don't oversalt) and no sugar because of the temp below.
Put on a roasting rack if you have one and put on a backing sheet that hast like 1/4-1/2 inch rim so grease doesn't leak out into your oven.

If you have no roasting rack then just set them in that pan bone side down.

Put oven on 325F. If you have your smoker meat thermometer then put it in the ribs and pull them when the IT is 195-198F or higher if u want fall off the bone texture.
Sugar can burn and get bitter so if you want sweetness the last 15 min you can sprinkle sugar on or just mop some bbq sauce on and let it caramelize and pull the ribs.

Don't wrap, don't cover, don't spritz, don't mop, don't baste, don't use a water pan, just let it roll.
This is as simple as you can make it unless you don't want to season it at all hahaha.

What you will get is a rack of ribs with great bark, great flavor, and great texture.
These will be super similar to smokes ribs but without the smoke. That's it!

I hope this helps

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky