wind finally got me..

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

brdprey

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jul 8, 2009
westvalley city, utah
i will post picks as soon as i can but my weekend went a Little like this. got up early started preparing everything for a ground turkey and mild sausage combo fattie also included stuffing cheese and some veggies. also had a fresh turkey breast i suited up for battle in the smoker.

been slowly cleaning my yard and relocated my smokers to what i thought was a safer place from the wind and my dog who likes to dig holes to china where i stand to smoke. 

due to the wind i figured i would watch this one closely and feed it like i do my credit card for when its time to go grocery shopping with the misses. its an endless pit of consumption with these hollow legged teens.

so fire is going nice 250 plus, with the wind going at 15 or so mph. thought this shouldn't be to bad. got the soldiers and Threw them into battle on the smoker, i expected a small drop like always but not this. the temp dropped to 225 slowly climbed back up , leveled out, then dropped again. curious i looked in the firebox saw nice coals so i closed it waited. temp was not excited about climbing and the f#### wind wouldn't give up. so i layed down some extra charcoal and logs. temp barley moved then dropped again to 225 so i looked again. ill be a son of a bch if i didn't lose some eyebrow due to the raging fire in the box which now i have to repaint this mule of a smoker next year for sure. the flames were just having  a good ol time in there. about 1 hr has passed i am getting nervous so i go fire up the M.E.S. its in the shed away from the wind. this is a just in case  and after about 20 min i have had it and looked to see if we were at temp on the MES. did a quick transfer and finished them off in the reliable never fail me yet smoker.   

now the after shots of the battle were not taken cause the eldest took the camera with him and his friends. but i will post the prebattle huddle we had.

been looking at the forums about wind breaks and it seems allot of people are plagued with this issue.

moral of this story, always have a back up plan i guess.
PDT_Armataz_01_03.gif

Last edited:
theres a lesson in everything. Hopefully a wind break will help ya out.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky