Will the Maverick ET-83 work in a smoker?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dmger14

Original poster
Jan 2, 2008
It is a dual probe thermometer that states it is for oven or grill, but can handle temps up to 500 degress F. I don't know if it has batteries or uses a plug, but if you can use it in a grill and "lie in a hammock" waiting to be alterted, it seems to me it should work in a smoker. I just want to be sure before I buy one. I have the smoky mountain great outdoors propane unit.

It will use batteries, you can use one probe for food and one for smoker
temps, just put that probe through a cork to keep it off the metal rack.
You can only rest in a hammock if you have a cold one or the thermometer
won't work
icon_rolleyes.gif

My smoker already has a thermometer for the smoker, so I can use both probes for meat. It was strange to me that some thermometers state they are for smokers, but this one didn't, hence the question. It was a bit less than the other ones, so I found it attractive so long as it will work.

Thanks!

Honestly, for the most part, the a smoker is a better environment than the oven for electronics. The smoke really doesn't hurt anything and you usually cook at lower temperatures than you would in the oven. Just make sure you keep your probes and cables clean. I use those scrubby pads that are for cleaning ceramic stove tops.

You can use it in a smoker. If it works with the higher temp grills and ovens, then no problem.
As far as what BH was telling you put 1 probe in meat and use the other to keep check on temp of smoker by placing probe through a block of wood, potato, or cork and allow it to rest next to the meat.
I understand you have a thermo on the smoker. Most of those thermo's are not truly accurate and using the probe will give you a better temp reading.
Goodluck

Don't trust the thermometer that comes with your smoker. First they're usualy off, secondly you want to know what the temp. is where the meat is, not what the temp. of the door is. Most people don't trust the factory thermometer, and have a few probe thermometers. And one of them is for the temp.of the smoker.

i can't really offer a opinon on the 83...........is it anything like the 73?

as for digi's in ovens......been doing it for 10 years at least... geek..........with the same digi thermo......the probe has just now gave up the ghost.......for what it cost......i got all the goodies outta it
cool.gif

Like they said, the thermo in my smoker runs about 40 degrees higher then the actual temp on the grate. My thermo is on the top of the door and the heat rises so it runs hotter.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky