Wife bought me a gun!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dribron

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Apr 9, 2010
Elk River MN
So my wife brought me home a jerkey gun, and I am thinking of giving a go in a day or go. I have a few questions..
* Is it best to start and finnish in the smoker, or better to start in the smoker then finnish off in dehydrator?
* Is the temp range I should be shooting for around 140 the whole time, or should I start at a lower or higher temp?
* About how many hours of smoke do you give it?

I guess that's it for now, but may have more questions latter.. as this is something new for me.
Oh any jerky recipes you might want to donate would be apriciated..

never used a jerky gun, but I smoke my jerky about 1.5-2 hours and finish in dehydrator or over extremely low heat for another 12-14 hours (based on final preferred consistency). Easiest thing to do, and will impress any jerky fan! Mine never lasts too long around here!

I have shot over 100lbs of jerky from hamburger and have always done start to finish on the smoker. On average it takes 10-12 hours to complete.

Worth noting I have a pellet grill so it acts as convection wich helps dry things out with prolonged exposure.

I just bought a new stove that has convection and may try smoking heavy for a few hours and then finish in the oven to help save on pellets.

I would highly recommend finding an excalibur spice dealer for jerky seasonings as they blow away anything you buy at a sporting goods store. I was not real happy with my jerky results until I made the switch.

Good luck with the jerky and let me know if you have any questions.

MM

Thank you I will. I plan on stopping by cabela's tomarow to see what they carry in the jerky/spice area. also at what temp do you smoke it?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky