Wickeds, Chicks & My 1st Butt Qview!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

deannc

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Jun 13, 2010
Cradle of Cue, NC
Working on my first butt (8.75 lbs) and so far she's looking great! Trimmed a little of the fat cap, covered her in mustard and then Jeff's rub about midnight Thursday.  I know most things I've read have said to rub the night before which would probably equate to about 10 or 12 hrs prior, but I had to make a decision...either stay up until midnight or get up even early than I already had to and of course I chose the first.  My plan was to get her on at midnight Friday night for a family get together around 4 p.m. Saturday (today).  Didn't think it would hurt anything going a little earlier on the rub since she was going to be wrapped up tight and chillin in the fridge.

Anyhow, I had to wait out the slight chance of thunderstorms because it turned into a 3 hour light show with a 2 inch downpour that ended just in time to throw up the ezup (off the deck this time!) and heat up the smoker!  Everything was on schedule to get the butt on at midnight last night (Friday) as planned.   

For the chicks, I figured until my first spritzing at 2 a.m., I could go ahead and get the 3 of them in the brine for about a 9 hour soaking....2 are Slaughterhouse Poultry brine by Tip Piper and 1 back into the Competition Style brine I tried and liked last weekend.  Looking at 4 to 4 1/2 hrs on them again at 165*.  

During the evening I mixed up some Memphis Mustard Style slaw and some of SoFlaQue  Finishing Sauce. Also picked up corn on the cob to smoke.  And to round out the menu for the afternoon, a bbq wouldn't be without of course Dutch's Wicked's!  Those my friends will be a part of all my future fixin's! 

On with the Qview - More to follow as I pull the Chicks from the brine and pull some pork later! 

Got the butt all rubbed up and ready for her midnight date!

9c3d77cd_ButtReadytogo.jpg

After the first 2 a.m. spritzing (106*) with a mix of apple juice and cider vinegar, I took me an 1 1/2 hr nap and spritzed again at 3:30 (128*) and 5 a.m. (142*)  My 6 a.m spritz came it at 151* and the following picture just before then.  When I got up at 8 a.m. she was heating up to 160*.  Almost ready for wrapping at 165*).  Temp's seem to be moving along as hoped.

d8caa84c_Butt6amhrsin.jpg

Almost time to start working the chicks again and give my butt another spritz, so we'll see you in a bit with more Qview!

Reactions: meateater
cool.gif

Everythings looking good so far. So make sure to keep us informed in the progress.

Its looking good!!

12 hour update - That's a wrap!  All is well, the transition between wrapping the butt and loading the chicks got me a little behind on my schedule. Wait a minute, what the heck am I thinking, I live by a schedule all week, the heck with a sticking schedule!  I'm not going to sweat it on my time off! LOL

First up the chicks - my plan was to pull them from the frig and prep them about an hour before I was going to wrap.  I hit 165* with the butt, started rinsing the chicks figuring if nothing else I'd hold out to 170* before wrapping.  A light coat of Jeff's rub under the skin, rubbed them down with olive oil, sprinkled more of Jeff's rub, along with some Weber Kickin Chicken (had it figured I'd use it)! (One of the 3 chicks...figured y'all have seen enough one would work haha!)

a2fb403b_Chick1.jpg

While the chicks were shaking the chill off from the frig I figured I'd go ahead and prepare my corn on the cob.  Think I've got about 10 ears....butt, wicked, chicks and 10 ears...hummm...nevermind! Anyhow, chillin the corn in the bucket of ice water as written up by Jeff. May have to let them soak 2.5 hrs instead 2 because I got a little behind reloading water, wood and all during the transition but we're not gonna sweat it!  Using a cake icing bucket I picked up free at a local bakery primarily for poultry brines etc.

95818d45_cornresting.jpg

Now for the good stuff!  At the 12 hour mark we were sitting at 168*!  Before wrapping thought I'd share a little with ya!  The bark was beautiful and for a butt, it smelled soooooo good!! (haha)  Added some extra cider and apple juice spray, double wrapped her and moved up to the top shelf for a little added heat in the top of the chamber and we're counting down!  After about 30 minutes the butt temp dropped back to 166*, so we'll patiently await her heating back up!  All in time! :) 

f136887a_Butt12hrsWrap.jpg

Now off to get the Wicked beans going!  See ya in a few, happy smokin!

Last edited:
Thanks everyone!  Well, after teetering back and fourth between 193* and 197*, at the 14 1/2 hour mark I'm at 198*!  Please hold and keep rising! haha

Looking good there.

Sure everyone will appreciate all the efforts.

Best thing I read is "schedule?"  - good weekend philosophy

Well, everything is done EXCEPT 2 of the 3 chicks are stalled at 160!  Pulled the other 1 at 4 1/2 hours (half hour ago) at 165*!  These other 2 have been on for 5 hours exactly!  I'm about ready to pull'em and shred'em!  Think they're good at 160*/5 hours? Juices appear to be clear, noticed that when I tried a different thermo.

I think that you're OK at 160 -- they can rise another 5* if you tent them in foil and let them rest 30 minutes or more.

mythmaster, thanks...exactly what I ended up doing.  Darn thing, I just pulled it 160 after 6 hrs...it wouldn't't budge! 

Now for the feast.......everything was amazingly good and incredibly mouth watering!  The wife only wanted me to use the finishing sauce on a little bit for myself and for others to sample...well, when she got a whiff of it and tasted it, she wanted it all done with the finishing sauce.  The butt flavoring was indescribable and for me to at a loss of words is saying a lot if you haven't been able to tell from rambling in my post! lol 

I know I keep repeating myself when I say this, but I can't thank you all enough for the information sharing, encouragement and willingness to help everyone!  In fact I was telling my neighbor guest, it would take many failed attempts and so long to ever be able to plate such fine cuisine blindly without the help of you great folks!  Part of why I became discouraged and gave up back in the early 80's, because I didn't know anyone who smoked to learn from and we didn't have Al Gore's darn internet yet!  LOL

Before I get to the good stuff again, thanks to all who shared recipes, the Wicked's - again a hit, the finishing sauce incredible, Slaughterhouse brine (will be my primary brine now), the Slaw, Jeff's rub, and corn on the cob write up!! 

The corn, beans and stubborn chicks!

08ffe71c_corn.jpg

First - after 15 hrs, 200*, a 2 hour rest in the cooler, the bone just fell right out clean! 

22531cac_boneout.jpg

Shredded with such ease....finger sucking good!!! Then I remembered the fork idea! LOL

474d29b3_chopped.jpg

Okkkk...here it is....my first butt!

10b6beb0_smkring.jpg

I can't say thank you enough folks!!!! 
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif

Now that's just BEAUTIFUL!

I haven't tried Tip's brine yet, but since you used both it and the Comp one side-by-side this time can you describe the differences?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky