Why do we revere Weber grills and smokers but disregard their operating instructions?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kettlemetal

Fire Starter
Original poster
Oct 4, 2015
NJ
I was going through a binder I keep all sorts of manuals in and happened across one for my 22.5" kettle. Here and elsewhere online, keeping the dome vent wide open is like gospel, but how did we get here? There's also the non-use of WSM water pans, the indirect setup they recommend, etc. I'm curious more than anything, but if controlling temp via the dome vent is so bad to do, why is it right there in the manual?

I'm not taking a side, and I follow the wide open rule myself, but I must admit that I saw an official video of theirs on using the wok insert for the gourmet grate system that left much to be desired, to say the least.

Instructions?  
confused.gif

We don't need no stinkin' instructions... 
icon_eek.gif

Back on topic...

I believe leaving the top vent 100% open allows the creosote to escape. Also less moisture/condensation on the lid to drop back down onto the food and create a bitter taste. 

Manuals give General instructions. Closing the top vent halfway in the summer, not a big issue, there is enough pressure to continue smoke and creosote evacuation. But try that with a water pan smoking your Thanksgiving Turkey in the Northern States and there will be a Black mess everywhere...JJ

2592751257_042d61c836.jpg

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky