Why Brisket and where to get IT??

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

danbono

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Feb 19, 2012
North New Jersey Paramus
Hi All New here SmokeKing forum. This weekend maybe my 1st try at smoking.Going to try a Brisket. I just purchased  Master Forge Electric Smoker  from Lowe's.

Got a few questions:

1. Why is Brisket the choice meat for smoking,and not something like Flank Steak/London Broil?

2. I'm in Northern New Jersey in  my local supermarkets,I only see small flats 2-4 lbs, does anyone know where I can get the bigger cuts of Briskets?

3. Any tips/suggestions?

Thanks Dan

If this is your first try at smoking I would choose something easier to smoke than a brisket. How about a beer can chicken, they are real easy or a pork butt if you are looking for a long smoke. Pork butts are very forgiving and hard to mess up. How about a smoker full of chicken wings. Lots of choices for your first smoke that are easy. Brisket is not one of them, but if you are sure that is what you want to smoke, there are a lot of brisket threads on here to give you a good example to follow. Good luck & let us know what you decide.

Follow what Al said, to get you warmed up.  When you are ready to challenge the brisket, I find full briskets at Walmart and Sams club.

Hi Al

My reasons for smoking Brisket on my 1st attempt at Smoking.I've seen it smoked soo many times on TV and it looks sooo good, nice and juicy .I usually use Brisket for Pot roast/braising

I do Pork butts in the oven, chicken doesn't do it for me.If I do get the hang of Smoking, just might a Easter Turkey.

Going  try a Brisket along with some Baby Back ribs, just in case the Brisket doesn't make it.:)

Thanks DanB

Pork butts in the oven when you got a smoker?
hit.gif
I would follow Al's advice and start with something easier that won't take so long. Like he said pork butts are easy and very forgiving of temperature fluctuations. If the brisket is cooked to hot it will get tough. Since you have an electric it should be easier to keep temps constant versus a charcoal smoker so you should be OK. Just be patient with a brisket. It can take up to 2 hours or more per pound. My $.02.

If you are going to go with a BIG Brisket you are going to have to invest some time.  It takes a long time to get this tough cut nice and tender which is where the "hard" comes in.  It's not really hard to do - just not a short (aka "easy") cook.  You might go to Wally World or Sam's as mentioned before.  My local grocer only has flats but Wally World has a large selection of packers.  I read someplace in order to choose a good brisket, lay the fat cap down and ensure the point curves to the right to get the most tender cut.  Will a packer fit into your smoker?  If not, a large flat may do just fine...or possibly two flats.  Good luck and have fun!

Last edited:
Hi All New here SmokeKing forum. This weekend maybe my 1st try at smoking.Going to try a Brisket. I just purchased  Master Forge Electric Smoker  from Lowe's.

Got a few questions:

1. Why is Brisket the choice meat for smoking,and not something like Flank Steak/London Broil?

2. I'm in Northern New Jersey in  my local supermarkets,I only see small flats 2-4 lbs, does anyone know where I can get the bigger cuts of Briskets?

3. Any tips/suggestions?

Thanks Dan
I'll answer you first question.  Why is brisket the choice....

Simple, brisket is an easy cut to smoke, basically rub it with seasoning, throw it on the smoker, and let it go.

Unfortunately, what makes brisket easy, is also what makes it difficult.

Your brisket will tell you when it is done. The brisket you do today, will be different from the brisket you do tomorrow, which will be different from the brisket you do next week.

Hi All How do  I go about posting pics?
I have a 4.5 lb brisket, rubbed in the fridge. I think the butcher thought he was doing me favor by removing most of the fat. When I told him it was going in a smoker. he said IF I would have known that I would have left some fat on..OH well, next time I will tell him.
I also have a rack of BB's, as back up if the brisket is a failure.
I'm figuring on around 7 hrs for the brisket. Should I foil? half way thru, or wait for a certain temp?
The BB's should be NO problem. :)
I hope the weather is going to cooperate tomorrow.

Thanks Dan

In the reply area look in the section with the smiley face.  The first icon in that shaded section kind of looks like a portrait,  right next to a film strip.  Click on it and follow the directions.    Click on browse, locate the picture on your computer and hit open then submit.   When you open the reply box originally dont forget to hit enter a couple of times to give you some room to work with when you want to add comments about your picture.  Give it a try,   as a relative newbie the spam blocker may delay it until a Mod can approve your submission.  We do this with new members to keep down the spam

I prefer untrimmed tri tip or bottom sirlion but in some areas of the country they grind it up for hamburger which is a shame because it is awesome smoked.  By the way,  WELCOME!!!!

Last edited:
Alelover: I just got a smoker a few days ago..I'm sure to do boston Butt,in the smoker one of these days for pull pork
yahoo.gif

Thanks DanB

Thanks for the list.. Well I fired up the Electric smoker at 8 am, put the 4.5lb brisket on at 8:20, bottom rack.The BB's went on at 9:20 top rack.The BB's came out really good using the 3-1-1 method, after 3 hrs in the smoker foiled rapped with some apple juice,then back in the smoker for 1hr, after that 1 more hr in the smoker unfoiled.Had some real good Hickory taste, just need some kind of BBQ

sauce to finish them off, otherwise they were a success.
yahoo.gif

Now the Brisket might be another story. At the 5 hr mark which is whereit is right now, I took 1st temp reading 140..Smoker temps were 225-250.I was planning for a 7 hr cook, 1 1/2 hr per lb doesn't look like that is going to happen?.Question why NO bark on the brisket, could be because ther ewasn't enough fat

I started with 1 chunk of Hickory 2-3" x 2-3", after 2 hrs I had to add another chunk, that was it for the wood.

DanB

6e27883b_DSC00940.jpg

Hi All I think I reach the stall point. One hour later,6th hr in the smoker, brisket is still at 140, smoke temp 250.

DanB

When I do a brisket I allow 1.5 hrs per # and add 2 hrs for individual cut of meat, wind, air temp, etc.  In my opinion you should plan for a bout 9 hrs for a 4.5# cut.  ...and keep the cooker covered...add time for each time you open it.

Hi Bama BBQ So you think I'm looking at at a 9 hr cook time, for my 4.6 lb brisket., Looks like the brisket temp stalled at 140, smoker temps 225-250.

I need to get too 190? No?

Thanks Dan

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky