why bone in butt

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

blacknbluedog

Fire Starter
Original poster
Sep 21, 2007
Honolulu
I've noticed people like to use bone in butts. Is there a reason for this? Does it taste better? Are cooking times the same as boneless? I would prefer to use boneless simply for the fact that you can insert the thermometer without fear of touching the bone. Also is there a picture of where to insert a thermometer in a chicken? I am only guessing as to where the thickest part of the thigh would be.
Thanks
Brian

You can use either bone-in or boned, it does not matter. It will, however change the cooking time.

As previously mentioned, it was thought that leaving the bone in during cooking added flavor. However, I know of no real evidence to support this and it seems, perhaps, to apply to cooking methods that spread bone flavor--like pot roasting, where all of the flavors meld.

If you buy bone-in roasts, the meat is a little cheaper as the butcher will charge you for removing the bone. Well, it's a labor charge item, you know. You can simply cook the butt until it is done enough to pull the meat from the bone and save the money.

Boned roasts may not cook as evenly as bone-in roasts. All that cutting and no wrapping or tying (as is the case for butt) changes the way it cooks. Things will be different for a tied and boneless pork loin roast. The tying and wrapping makes it cook more like a single thickness cut of meat.

Do what turns your crank, 'cause it'll work and will be good, too.

There seems to to be some amount of truth regarding bones and their flavoring ability. Bones are used everyday in the making of some stocks, I personally feel that some bones can add flavor, based on my own experiences.

Also,the bone kinda acts like natures thermometer........

If you go to turn the butt and the bone pulls out,it's done
PDT_Armataz_01_29.gif

Here's a good way to test for flavor difference. Take two porkchops, one boneless and the other with bone, cook them exactly the same, side-by-side, on your grill, smoker, or whatever. The one with the bone will have a better flavor... Guarontee!

How do I know this you ask? Because I tried it on my Weber...
icon_wink.gif

I agree that the bone wil add flavor. I just wish I could buy Butts, I can't find them here in Phila. I have to use picnic's all the time. I'm looking hard for a butt, want to make bacon again.

Hey Michael, do you have a BJ's or Costco in your area? The BJ's here in New Castle, DE normally has the butts, but they were out of them the last time I was in there. Usually, talking nice to the meat manager will get you what you need...

Brian - I actually did a little test on the bone-in, bone-out thing awhile back. What I found was that the butt with the bone IN cooked faster (by about 2 hours) even though it was a bit bigger even before I cut out the bone than the one without the bone. Luckily neither hit the plauteu so it was a good test. Final weights were almost a pound differance and the big one finished first. I think we even did a poll and most of us were betting on the bonless one - wrong!

As far as taste - it could be all in my head but I think the bone-IN butt tasted a tad bit better. The bone-IN butt also made alot more juice so it produces a better pulled pork IMHO. Nothing earth shattering but a difference you could taste side by side.

Hawg, We do have a BJ here, but I only have a membership for Sam's and they never have anything but ribs, no brisket packer's just flats. No butts, no picnic's, no turkey's. But if I knew that BJ's did have butt's I would get a membership there instead. I think my brother has a BJ membership, I'll check with him. Thank You.

ouch smokin..........that sux.........our sams has ALL that and more.........butts packaged as twins....bout 1.09/lb........packers.....1.68
spares 1.60........i feel your pain......

d88de

I bone my own and save the bones for a spaghetti sauce... yummm! someone here had a hard time boning one a while back. Maybe I'll do a vid on it, It's not hard, just a couple trix.. :{)

Bones do give Flavor
Bones do help cook meat faster

Bones will also tell ya when its done.

Next time you cook a Butt twards the end of the cook, wiggle the bone. It'll tell you alot.

Its not always temps & times.

Just my opinion

Dan

I get my butts at WalMart - BJ's butts here are terrible! Mostly fat and from very old piggies! The last 6 I got were so bad I had to peel the skins between the muscles off!

I get my Butts at my local spartan store. They are not out for display. Ask the butcher. If they sell pork steak at your store, they have butts. That is what they cut pork steaks from I am told anyways. Most of the time I get them for 1.39 a pound, but on occasion, they go on sale for 1.29. I wish I could get em for .99.

Thanks for the response. Bone in it is. This is a GRRRRREAT forum! Even if I had no intention of ever smoking anything I would still visit this forum.
Brian

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky