SV Why are the 'die hards' so afraid of Sous Vide?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
The only way I do pork loin these days is SV, then smoke. Best way I've found to get a 1" thick chop that's juicy and cuts with a fork.

But a real game changer for me is short ribs. No other way to get medium rare, fork tender beef ribs. They are amazing.
shortrib1.jpg
shortrib2.jpg

I probably use my SV 2-3 times a week for various other tough cuts, chicken, and reheating. It's just another kitchen tool, not the end all, but very useful for some things.

that looks amazing. if i were to guess the steps to do this, i'd SV for 30-48 hours at 131F, and then smoke at 225F until internal temp reaches 205? am i close? :)

Take another look...They are fork tender and Med/Rare, 130-135. That's magical...JJ

Reactions: sigmo and solman
that looks amazing. if i were to guess the steps to do this, i'd SV for 30-48 hours at 131F, and then smoke at 225F until internal temp reaches 205? am i close? :)

Close. SV at 131F for 72 hours, chill, then smoke till about 131F (want to keep them med-rare). The darkness comes from layering on a glaze during smoke.

And by die hards I mean the grillers, cast ironers, broilers, pit smokers etc.

I am currently in a heated discussion on FB (yes I know, thats a part of the issue there LOL) in regards to my comment stating that sous vide is a superior way to cook your meat(s) to perfection. Whoah... The comments range from curiousity to 'GTFO with your Yankee ass boiling method' Its getting to the point of comedy.

Ironically, the same people who are going to die by the grill and bash any other method that threatens their style, are the same ones who have never experienced the superior cook of a sous vide much less of even heard of it as an option. And then go on to say its 'semantics' when I correct you in saying 'No, you are not boiling your steak'

The closed mindedness is making my head hurt... But hey, if you don't like it or agree with it - then don't do it. Just know that my steak will beat up your steak.

You could not tell from some folks attitudes and posts but, there is no My Way or You're an Idiot! There are many ways to cook meat and, get it tender. My Wife and I grew up on cheap cuts of Beef, like Chuck Steaks, covered in Adolf's Meat Tenderizer. It worked! Is it SV Tender? No, but still tasty. I've found most folks that argue one aspect is the only way, have never tried cooking it differently. Or are just plain AFRAID to try something different...JJ

Reactions: SGMan and Sparky9
I have 2 SV circulators & they are just another weapon in the arsenal.
They can take the toughest cut of meat & turn it into melt in your mouth, tender & juicy.
But for a steak I prefer wood or charcoal. I have a Santa Maria attachment for my Weber.
And a nice ribeye grilled over hickory is hard to beat!
Al

Agreed, it’s another tool in the tool box. My mother has one and we cooked steaks on it once. The meat was tender but we didn’t season it enough I think. Next time around we will probably put it on the Q after, or try a sear in a CI. I think we just need to practice with it just like anything else. All in all, the family prefers the grill for steaks but I am always willing to try new things.

Reactions: SGMan
Who knew this thread would end up with a lot of great recipes and techniques being posted?!

My and my wife's favorite sous vide "thing" for the last few years has been this:

I buy a few full cryovac tenderloins at Sam's. They're a lot less per pound than cut tenderloins.

I get out the vacuum sealer and bags and cut the loins into approximately 8 ounce steaks. I season them (we like a store-bought rosemary garlic mix).

Then I vac-seal them individually, not too high of a vacuum, but getting all of the air out.

Then I freeze them.

When we know we'll want steaks, we put one (to split) or two if we're starving into the pot with the circulator at 131F (55C).

From frozen, I like about 3 to 5 hours for these little beauties.

Then we can prep some asparagus, or whatever, and when we and whatever else we want are almost ready, I take out the steak, pat it dry, and fire up a cheap ceramic-coated non-stick skillet and sear them in butter over high flame for a minute or so.

Super fast and easy. Cheaper and less effort than a trip to a fast food drive thru, and I kid you not, the best tasting, most tender steak either of us have ever had. Bar none!

It's to the point that neither of us will even bother ordering steak when we go out anywhere because we know it won't compare.

We both had steaks at a Ruth Chris's, and Kobe steaks at The Stratosphere in Vegas. Sorry, great meals, but the steaks simply cannot compare to what ends up being about ten minutes of actual "work" at our house with the sous vide!

Melt in your mouth doesn't begin to describe it.

Now, I do a mean steak on the grill. A little Smokey Joe with raging charcoal is my favorite. I love super hot charcoal, and the effect of getting an incredible initial sear from the radiation off of perfect coals, and the subsequent cooking with the lid on, and vents choked back so you have some lower heat and a highly reducing atmosphere to get them just right.

And I love my smoker. And I want to try some reverse sear, etc. But man, we are absolutely spoiled by the sous vide.

For Christmas this last year, I bought two big rib roasts. I cut them into six two-pound rib eye steaks. Seasoned them. Vacuum packed them. Froze them.

I bought a picnic cooler just to use for this one sous vide meal. I modified it to accommodate three circulators because I could not work out the thermal load calculations, and wanted to be safe.

I bought two additional sous vide circulators, and used all three at once. It turns out it was overkill, but I needed to be sure with such an important family meal on the line.

Four hours before we planned on eating, I fired up the trio of circulators to make sure the temperature would be up before I put these enormous steaks in.

Three and a half hours before the meal time, I put in the steaks. I used a grate from a smoker to force all of the bags to be completely submerged, and every so often, moved the bags-o-steak around to assure they all got equal treatment.

When everything else was ready, or almost, I got the steaks out, dried them, and seared them in a huge cast iron skillet, in butter. I did have to do them in two batches, three at a time.

Every single person said they were the best steaks they had ever eaten, including my son, who is a grill/smoker/sous-vide fanatic in his own right.

The adults shared their steaks with the grandkids, and even the kiddos ate mass quantities! I could not have been happier!

Having worked for a chain of environmental laboratories for many years as, among other things, their expert on precision temperature control and monitoring, I can tell you that an actively-stirred water bath is the most stable and precise temperature reference and control method available.

For precise incubation of bacteriological samples, nothing comes close. I built systems for them to incubate hundreds of samples at once with control within 1/10th degree C, and these were always recirculating water baths.

Water has a very high specific heat. It has relatively high density. It has high thermal conductivity. And it is a liquid! It is almost the ideal heat transfer medium. And it's just plain water! So convenient, safe, and easy to work with.

Immersion circulators have been a staple in the laboratory for 30 years or more. They're the standard by which all other temperature control systems are judged, (and come up short). My hat is off to whoever came up with the idea of using one to cook food.

Anyhow, as cheap as an immersion circulator is these days, you really owe it to yourself to give it a try. Another tool in our arsenal. And a really easy way to make a world-class meal with "fast food" ease.

You can have my immersion circulators when you pry them from my cold, dead, fingers! But I will also keep my smoker, and my charcoal grills, thank you!

I have to try some of the other techniques from this thread now!

Reactions: cooperman and SGMan
Bought a cheap 1200w SV unit and tried 2 big T bones that I know would have been tougher than leather,wife wont eat red and very little pink, 3 hrs at 160 for the heck of it. Over done for me and a little dry but not like leather , wife said it tasted more like roasted beef than steak, seared in skillet after bath. 135 for my next adventure and will leave hers out, it seems to hold temp really good but time will tell if It will hold up. also did a couple of chicken breasts at 150 for about 90 minutes and browned afterwards that were good.

Reactions: Inkbirdbbq
Try 131 (55C). It's hot enough that you won't be in any danger even if you leave them in for over 3 hours, but to me, a perfect medium rare.

I hope you like it as much as my wife and I do.

Yes, 160 is way too hot for your meats. Thats approaching veggie territory!

Surprisingly - I got my mother a SV cooker and her favorite thing to make in it is in fact veggies! She recently started dabbling in steaks and chops, but the drop in temp was a shocker for her.

I don't think its a question of fear but of preference. I could just as well ask what makes people so dumb as to come onto a smoking and barbeque forum to discuss boiling meat. It is just as stupid as it would be for me to go hang out on a vegan forum and try to discuss pork butts and brisket.
Wow...
Look closer...this is the SV subforum. And you thought you'd never get caught reading about boiled meat...lol

Last edited:
Have never done veggies. Curious how long and what temps would you need to soften up something like say, baby carrots seasoned up ? Potatoes ?

Have never done veggies. Curious how long and what temps would you need to soften up something like say, baby carrots seasoned up ? Potatoes ?

Ill check with my mother as she seems to have some of the veggies down pat. But I believe its in the 180-190 ranges. I just know that if you plan to do meats in conjunction, you should do your veggies ahead of time as they take a higher temp - Let me verify for you Im asking her now!

Okay, I did verify with her - She says she has had wonderful success with corn on the cob and baby potatoes. The temp is ~181.5 and she runs it for about an hour or so (although most recipes call for ~35 minutes) As far as baby carrots go, I can't give you a definitive answer on that one (until I take a stab at them again) :p

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky