SV Why are the 'die hards' so afraid of Sous Vide?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SGMan

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Mar 12, 2019
P-Town Virginia
And by die hards I mean the grillers, cast ironers, broilers, pit smokers etc.

I am currently in a heated discussion on FB (yes I know, thats a part of the issue there LOL) in regards to my comment stating that sous vide is a superior way to cook your meat(s) to perfection. Whoah... The comments range from curiousity to 'GTFO with your Yankee ass boiling method' Its getting to the point of comedy.

Ironically, the same people who are going to die by the grill and bash any other method that threatens their style, are the same ones who have never experienced the superior cook of a sous vide much less of even heard of it as an option. And then go on to say its 'semantics' when I correct you in saying 'No, you are not boiling your steak'

The closed mindedness is making my head hurt... But hey, if you don't like it or agree with it - then don't do it. Just know that my steak will beat up your steak.

You answered your own question, FB. Controversy is there #1 thing that keeps them going. What others are missing out on is there own fault. Just another tool in the chest, the way I see it . :emoji_nerd:

Reactions: JC in GB and SGMan
This is part of the reason I'm not on FB anymore. Too much arguing, and people insisting I'm wrong about something. If SV makes a superior piece of meat for you, then that's all you need to know. One of these days I'm going to pull the trigger on one.

Well said. I've been thinking about this as well. Or, just use the pid controller I just made. And use a crock pot or other cooker to try a SV cook.

Well I'm not sure I'm a die hard about anything, but I've come to the conclusion it's pretty much a waste of time and money.

I've do steaks better with reverse sear with a cast iron skillet and oven. Chicken wings turned out good and no oily clean up. But it's a big investment for a chicken wing cooke . Several London broils later I couldn't make that tender and taste good.

I really want the sous vide to work but in my experience it's just a gimmick. It might work well for steaks in the catering or restaurant biz but for me no bueno.

Well said. I've been thinking about this as well. Or, just use the pid controller I just made. And use a crock pot or other cooker to try a SV cook.

Steve; If you use your PID with a crock pot please let me know how it works out. The nerd in me is curious about this.

Steve; If you use your PID with a crock pot please let me know how it works out. The nerd in me is curious about this.

Since the Crock don't Circulate, it is only safe for Intact cuts of meat. Fish, Seafood, Steaks and Chops, no issue. Large , Injected cuts will be in too long and pose a risk. Speaking of Timing...All posted instructions and recipe Timing is Worthless, with a Crock Pot. Without the Circulation cooks take longer...JJ

Reactions: sigmo
I've been tempted to get a sous vide circulator, but we've had enough unused appliances that ended up in yard sales: toaster ovens, bread machines, crock pots, latte makers, etc. I've looked at sous vide, and just about talked my wife into getting one for my birthday, until she said, "You know, it's just going to end up in a garage sale." She gave me a FRIGGIN' KILLER coffee grinder instead (Breville Smart Grinder Pro) for the same amount of money that gets used once or twice a day.

I'm not opposed to sous vide at all because I'm into simple ways of doing things, even with the grill, smoker, oven, stovetop, roasting coffee, whatever. But sous vide just doesn't interest me enough for me to believe I'd use it enough to replace the same meal that could have been grilled or smoked.

But hey, if you don't like it or agree with it - then don't do it. Just know that my steak will beat up your steak.
I do steaks both ways . I am a fan of a SV steak , but your statement is false . I started doing steaks over my charcoal starter with a piece of expanded metal . Fantastic , no SV needed .

"The closed mindedness is making my head hurt... But hey, if you don't like it or agree with it - then don't do it. Just know that my steak will beat up your steak."

I know you are but what am I? :emoji_wink::emoji_laughing: or is it I'm rubber and you're glue. What you say bounces off me and sticks to you!

Reactions: SGMan
I have a SV unit but only used it once. I know it's a personal problem but the wife and I just never seem to be organized enough to execute a cook 24 hours out. 9 out of 10 meals, the meat is defrosting in running water in the sink day of...JJ

Reactions: NU2SMOKE
Since the Crock don't Circulate, it is only safe for Intact cuts of meat. Fish, Seafood, Steaks and Chops, no issue. Large , Injected cuts will be in too long and pose a risk. Speaking of Timing...All posted instructions and recipe Timing is Worthless, with a Crock Pot. Without the Circulation cooks take longer...JJ

That was the thing I was thinking about. No water circulation. I started thinking about SV's again after reading Bear's write about the SV and Lobster tails. After vacation I'm going to give it a try.

Reactions: chopsaw
I have 2 SV circulators & they are just another weapon in the arsenal.
They can take the toughest cut of meat & turn it into melt in your mouth, tender & juicy.
But for a steak I prefer wood or charcoal. I have a Santa Maria attachment for my Weber.
And a nice ribeye grilled over hickory is hard to beat!
Al

I’m with Al. Can I make a better steak over a wood fire and charcoal?....absolutely!

I mostly use my SV for chicken, pork and pastrami.

But where SV shines for me is for quick meal prep. My wife and I buy bulk meat, and with a little bit of prep work the SV becomes really helpful.

We will season and vacuum seal chicken breast and pork by the pair (since it’s only us), and throw them in the freezer.

I work until 6pm, my wife works until 3pm. So she will take a frozen package from the freezer and directly into the water bath...Once I get home, the meat is ready, So I just sear and serve. Dinner is ready in a matter of minutes.

I've been using my an analog PID temperature controller I designed and built years ago. I have put marks on it at each of the main SV temps I use. I calibrated it with my Thermapen, so I know it's very accurate. If it were ever to break down, I'd get one of those $25 digital units on Amazon which can also be used for keeping things cold.

My "circulator" is my spoon. The only reason for needing a circulator is to keep hot or cold spots from forming in the water and also to speed the temperature change so the cold food doesn't get an insulating layer of colder water around it. If you stir every few minutes while the food comes up to temp, it works fine. Once the food is at temp, you hardly need to stir at all.

If you do want to duplicate what I've done, you MUST use an analog slow cooker with no electronics. Mine is just a heating coil and a Hi-Lo-Warm-Off switch. There is no thermostat and there are electronic controls. The good thing is that it was the absolutely cheapest cooker at Target.

Pretty good debate and interesting reading all the comments. I don't have one either but I'm not opposed to it. I've got relatives that will absolutely not eat anything that came from a sous vide. They say cooking meat in a plastic bag causes cancer.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky