Why are links being deleted...?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bruno994

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Dec 19, 2011
Buna, Texas
I can understand removing links to competing websites, but I had a post yesterday with 2 very informative links to non-competing websites (BBQ competition organizations) deleted and the post altered.  I saw another post from another member this morning with what was a link to an ebay item, but it is now deleted.  Surely ebay is not a competing website...once again I understand the need to control traffic off this site to other similiar sites, but are we taking it a bit far?

Just my .02....

Jeff

Hi Bruno....a few weeks ago....Jeff made a statement to the General Membership.  I think you may have missed it....but Jeff's rule is NO Off Site links....at all unless it's from one of our Paid sponsors.  That is why the links have been going poof!  He has also added a rule #11 to the Terms of Service.

Kat

Rules.gif

th_dunno-1%5B1%5D.gif

diespam.gif

Happy smoken.

David

Offsite Links

Off-site links are not only discouraged but they are generally not allowed at SMF. If you post a link to another website, your own website or your best friend's website, it will probably be deleted.

We have sponsors who pay to post their links and promote their products and it is just not fair to them if others are allowed to use the SMF as a way to promote their own websites.

The link you post to another site may be something you are doing to be helpful but it is still highly discouraged and unless it is the only way to help someone with their problem or question, it will probably be deleted.

We have to be strict about this to prevent spam and if you can't deal with that, then perhaps this is not the right place for you to hang out.

One caveat to this is that premier members are allowed to post off-site links in their signature area. They are considered to be paying sponsors of the forum and pay for the right to do so.

I am also very touchy about members being disrespectful to the moderators and admins who volunteer their time and energy to help keep this forum clean and free of spam, smut, bad information and bad attitudes.

If we hear of this, it will be handled delicately. Enough said.

I sincerely appreciate everyone's attention to this and your understanding. If you have any questions or need something in this post clarified, please let me know.

That should answer any and all questions!

Last edited:
Is Feldon's calculator allowed?

David
Feldon's calculator is actually the creation of a user at The Smoke Ring named "Cranky Buzzard". If you Google "Cranky Buzzard's BBQ Workbook" you should be able to download the file directly to your computer.

23 outside links can be found in this one thread alone, while I appreciate that Jeff can do as he pleases, seems like the cat is already out of the bag on this one. JM2C.

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/92052/i-will-do-science-to-it-smoke-sous-vide

There are over 1,000,000 posts on here dating back over 5 years, I don't think we have time to go back and look at every single post to look for links!
The one you linked Cliff dates back over 3 years.

Feldon's calculator is actually the creation of a user at The Smoke Ring named "Cranky Buzzard". If you Google "Cranky Buzzard's BBQ Workbook" you should be able to download the file directly to your computer.

23 outside links can be found in this one thread alone, while I appreciate that Jeff can do as he pleases, seems like the cat is already out of the bag on this one. JM2C.

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/92052/i-will-do-science-to-it-smoke-sous-vide
I already have it on my CPU.

Thanks

David

Status
Not open for further replies.
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky