Whole meat jerky Q-View

Discussion in 'Making Jerky' started by richtee, Nov 7, 2007.

1. richtee

richtee Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Just finished...yumm!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. goat

goat Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

How did the taste test go??

3. smokincowboy

smokincowboy Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

I gotta make me some jerky now (MMMMMmmmmm Jerky)

4. Now that looks mighty fine. Wish I had the time.

5. smokin for life

smokin for life Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

Rich what kind of meat to you use for jerky? That Q-View makes me want to do some jerky.

6. richtee

really good batch, Goat. Increased the CBP and Smitty's a bit for a nice slow heat... good moisture content too. Practicing up for venison season!

7. richtee

That's a whole beef round I clean and cut up, Mike. Cured for 24, then smoked about 3-4 hours at maybe 110*, finished in my "modded" Jennair oven

8. placebo

placebo Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Now you know we can't let that one get by without asking for more info![​IMG]

Jerky looks fantastic!

9. richtee

LOL! Figured as much! OK: I make a tinfoil "hood" that I place over the stovetop downdraft fan, and tuck it into the top of the oven door, held slightly open by the wooden spoon ya see there <just the handle.> That spoon keeps the door slightly open AND depresses the oven door switch, turning off the oven light, AND allows the convection <internal fan> feature to operate. I set the oven for about 125*, turn on the downdraft and away she goes. Great dehydrator!

[​IMG]

10. homebrew & bbq

homebrew & bbq Smoking Fanatic

Richtee, you are one creative cook! That's quite a set up you rigged. [​IMG][​IMG]

11. richtee

Brokeness, along with neccessity, are the Mothers of invention ;{)

12. placebo

placebo Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Now thats using your noodle. It's good to know I'm not the only one that does those kinds of things lol.[​IMG]

13. wilson

wilson Meat Mopper

Hi Richtee,
    Would you mind sharing your cure with us???
    Thanks,
    Ron

14. shellbellc

shellbellc Master of the Pit OTBS Member

I've got two round roasts in the freezer I got on sale, might have to break them out and do some jerky this weekend.

15. richtee

I really don't have a set recipe, Wilson. I use a slightly reduced TQ amount for curing then called for. This batch was 5.5 lbs and I used 4.5 tbsp of cure. The rest is Kosher, soy sauce, wine, and cumin-onion-garlic powders and CBP. Sometimes Smitty's hot pepper mix, some times a shot of wine vinegar... sometimes... Mustard.... heh!

16. wilson

wilson Meat Mopper

Thanks for the info.