Whole hog thaw time?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BaxtersBBQ

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jan 5, 2020
Anybody have experience with frozen hogs? I’ve got a 70lb pig that’s frozen like a rock. I need it completely thawed by July 2nd, I plan on cooking it the 3rd. Anybody have any idea how long it’s going to take to thaw? I’ve got it in the walk-in freezer. I don’t want to move it to the walk-in cooler too soon because the box takes up a lot space. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
FEAC5316-A4B3-4A1C-B206-30D071A929DF.jpeg

once thawed you will have 3-7 days at least before you have to cook it, a lot depends on how cold the walkin fridge is, I would bet 3-6 days to thaw if it stays in the box, like I said though the temps in there will determine how long, I would probably take out of box and lay on a rack if possible

08BCA15F-DB23-4CE4-92DC-4F57E1E0FA94.jpeg
Ill keep you guys posted. I managed to make some room and get it into my reach in cooler. Anybody have tips for removing the hair? I noticed A LOT of stubble on it like they shaved it with clippers. Would torching it off make it smell or taste like burnt hair? Not sure I’ll have the time to scald and scrape it

View attachment 501580Ill keep you guys posted. I managed to make some room and get it into my reach in cooler. Anybody have tips for removing the hair? I noticed A LOT of stubble on it like they shaved it with clippers. Would torching it off make it smell or taste like burnt hair? Not sure I’ll have the time to scald and scrape it

Well there is the torch and scrape technique. I would be a little pissed off if I bought a whole pig and it wasn't thoroughly dehaired. Removing a non-trivial amount of hair is going to take real effort no matter what so if you have to then just prepare to put some time into it.

I believe torch and scrape is easier and just as good as scalding and scraping. Let us know what you end up doing and how it comes out :)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky