Whole Hog in a Lang 48

Discussion in 'Wood Smokers' started by mtlcafan79, May 10, 2009.

1. Has anyone done a pig in a 3rd gen Lang 48 yet?

I plan on doing one Memorial day weekend. The Lang site says 70lb o pig will fit. I'm thinking that's with the head and legs removed. Will that fit butterflied or will I need to tuck it all in?

2. scpatterson

scpatterson Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

I coulnt tell you but you coud call the people at Lang and I bet they would tell you...

3. After talking to Ben and my butcher, it will be a 45lb'er minus head and legs. Will supplement pulled pork to make up the difference. Pics to follow!

4. sumosmoke

sumosmoke Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

I've got the Patio 48 and haven't done a whole pig yet. By looking at the size of what we did at the N. FL gathering, I think I could comfortably get at least one whole pig in mine.

5. capt dan

capt dan Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Good call. Your not gonna get a very big pig in a 48. I can do a 80-90 lber in my 60, but why.[​IMG]

I have gone that route. fun and fancy, but to feed the masses, pork butts and briskets or big chucks(16-28 lbs). very little carcass to throw away, no head or feet. Not wanting to spoil the plan, but for the most bang for the buck.............I'm just sayin! instead of the 80-90 lb pig in my 60(and alot of wrestling) I can put 110-120 lbs of the above cuts in there.
    Just my 2 cents worth![​IMG]