Whole chickens plz help.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

iron

Fire Starter
Original poster
May 9, 2009
Wisconsin
Been a while since ive posted, i am doing 4 whole birds, need a ball park on time and temp for these? any suggestions?

Thanks, Jason

Depends on the smoker temp and size of birds.
For crisp skin you want 275-326 and they should take between 2-4 hours but figure on closer to 3 hours, just remember go by temp and not time, to be safe bring the birds up to about 170.

About how much does each one weigh? You can either smoke them at about 250 and crisp the skin later if you plan on eating it, or smoke them at a higher temp like 300-325 to begin with and not have to do the second step. As far as time, a lot depends on what temp you smoke them at.

Like they said. If you plan on smoking below 250 your probably looking at 4 to 5 hours. If your up in the 275 to 325 range... your probably looking at around 3 hours. Check for doneness by temp and take it to 165 and let rest. You'll find that the legs are very easily moved in the joint when it is done. I've found that when I smoke at a lower temp it takes longer but the meat seems to stay juicier than smoking at a high temp. I also smoke breast side down for at least half the smoke.

I'm with the rest of these people here smoke it at 275 to (some say325) but I like 300 maybe and take the bird to 170 and thats sould be fine. If you want you can crisp the skin on a regular grill but mine always comes out just right not too crispy and not too soft.
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif
Good luck and Happy Smoking Jason.

^^^^^^^^i like those temps better and i also crisp on the grill at the end........don't forget to brine as well.

Sounds like you got good information so far. I also without knowing the size of the birds will say it will talk about 3 hours so give yourself 4. They can rest for 30-60 minutes.

I don't brine, smoke them at 325 - 350max, cook till thigh internal at 175F and they are always perfect. Lot's of other techniques, this is just mine. keep us posted on how they turned out

PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Thank's everyone.......they took about 3.5 hrs and were darn tasty!

Invokes the age old discussion on what's for dinner.. man answers "..a henway..." First one asks, "What's a henway?" Second man answers, "Ohhh about 3 -3½ lbs..."

Sorry... couldn't resist.... lol!
biggrin.gif

Well seein's they be done now, fer next time, I'd brine an spritz, I got a good recipe that several folks like, ifin ya wan't it, just ask, glad ta give it to ya. I smoke chicken at 275° an with my spritz it's got a decent skin on it. Sounds like they turned out fer ya an that's the best part, ya get ta experiment an eat the results!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky