Whole Chicken Questions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bamasmoker77

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Oct 8, 2013
Alabama
I have two whole chickens that I am planning on smoking Sunday evening after church. I do have a few questions.

1. What is the best temp to cook the chicken at. My MES 30 goes up to 275. My guess was 275.

2. Should I stick the temp probe in the breast or thigh? I know there are two different temps I am looking for in there.

3. When the probe is in the breast, should it be closer to the bone or more centered in the breast. How far should I stick the probe in as well.

4. Where in the thigh should I check the temp?

5. My plan after reading some post was to cut the chicken where it can be spread in to two halves basically. Is that best or should I just sit it in there whole?

Thanks for the help and I will make sure to reward with plenty of Qview.

I have two whole chickens that I am planning on smoking Sunday evening after church. I do have a few questions.

1. What is the best temp to cook the chicken at. My MES 30 goes up to 275. My guess was 275.

You guessed right. If 275˚ is all you can get out of your smoker, that's as high as you can go. I like to go 325˚ plus.

2. Should I stick the temp probe in the breast or thigh? I know there are two different temps I am looking for in there.

In my smoker with the way I prepare chicken, when the breast hits 165˚ the thigh/leg is usually north of 170˚, so I just stick it in the breast.

3. When the probe is in the breast, should it be closer to the bone or more centered in the breast. How far should I stick the probe in as well.

Centered in the thickest part. Depending on your probe, you want the sensor to be in center mass. On one of mine this is at the very tip, on another it's about an inch back from the tip.

4. Where in the thigh should I check the temp?

Again, thickest part, not near the bone.

5. My plan after reading some post was to cut the chicken where it can be spread in to two halves basically. Is that best or should I just sit it in there whole?

I like to spatchcock whole chickens, but many do them whole. I find spatchcocking gives me more even cooking and faster cooking.

Thanks for the help and I will make sure to reward with plenty of Qview.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky