Who uses Rib Racks?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

titus0327

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 22, 2009
North Tonawanda, NY
Im just wondering what percentage of people use a rack inside their smoker for ribs, and how many people just lay them on the grates?

Is there any advantage to cooking them one way or the other? Besides being able to fit more ribs in the smoker using a rack.

Also, for those who do use them, is there a particular brand or model that you like better than others?

Thanks.

I used one once, seemed to work ok, but I didnt like cutting the ribs in half. Id use mine again if I really needed to do more than 4 racks.

On my small WSM I can easily do 4 racks of bb's without cutting them, and still have room for some sausage, ABT's, beans, etc. Enough ribs and sided for my small family and group of friends.

I do use them since I have a smoker that's a lot taller than it is wide (wish I had that problem). At any rate, the only way for me to fit several racks of ribs is to use the rib racks.

I have used racks a couple of times, just to save firing up an extra smoker. I will tell you that mine are somewhat crowded with spares, especially if untrimmed. This can increase the cooking time dramatically, as I experienced. Chamber temps have a greater effect on reducing the cooking time, so I would suggest raising temps by 25* or so.

Mine are the wire type rack, and I skip a space for each slab so there is better thermal energy transfer between the slabs of ribs for more even cooking.

If you intend to do mopping/basting/saucing, using the racks can hinder your efforts a bit, and you may lose some mop/sauce to drippings more easily.

Eric

I use them when I need more room, I also cut them in half, they work o.k. I only smoke spares. The thing I dont like about them is that the rack is shorter in length (vertical) than the spares so they droop/bend over each other. I hope this helps

I use to use them when I only had my small smoker and medium BGE but now that I have a UDS and my smoke shack and I have lots of room for the full racks and I just put them right on the grates.

Laying Flat

ribs01.jpg

Using Rib Racks

weber007.jpg

weber007.jpg

I bught a smoke vault 24" just for that reason or thats the one I used on the wife and it worked.

I use a rack about 1/2 the time, depending on how many I'm doing if I need the space. I dont mop, so there is not a problem there. With that said, I have only recently been doing the 3-2-1 method so the rack might not play well into the "flow" of the process for me.

Lay them flat, i have used the racks one time, and just dont like cutting the ribs. I would say the are A+ for a small smoker though if you dont have enough room.

on my racks the uprights are removable so every other one is removed to make room for heat transfer,foil or not. as for using or not about half the time.......anywho thas my 2 cents

What he said. Also, when using my rib rack I can only get three half racks on at one time since I only purchased one. But I am gravitating towards laying them down to get more heat & smoke on each one as I am using a CG.

Again, what he said. If you need the room then you are good to go.

I bought one, used it once and now its in the scrap metal bin.. the ribs get stuck and they pull apart when you try get them out.. nedless to say I wasn't impressed.

Steve

Forgot to mention, I have 4 racks and I overlap them front-to-back and set them side-by-side so I don't have to cut the slab down to size.

I think I had 6 slabs of spares on one rack in the vault this way.

Eric

Reactions: PitBossMikey
i smoke mainly for me and my gal
my rose--royal oak smoker electric has 3 racks..dont need my rib rack now.
plus it doesnt quite fit...must go on 45angle...

on my deceased elec char broil with 2 grill racks it worked well...
i like memphis dry sometimes...

i use more for pork steaks and sirloin steaks than ribs....

3-2-1 does not use rib racks--even tho its usualy 2-2-1

I never use a rib rack. I can do 4 slabs on one smoker and another 4 on the other one.

I read somewhere that flat is better, especially with the meat/fat side up (bone down) so that as the fat renders, it keeps the meat moist. Not sure that would happen with a rack.

I can't claim to be the one that thought of this, but what an idea! Click on the pic for a linky.

0095091_PE233458_S3.jpg

It is all stainless, articulated to adjust the spacing and best of all it is only $5.00! In real life it is designed as a pot lid holder from Ikea, item number 701.548.00. I haven't had the opportunity to use them yet, but it was the cause for a first-time trip to Ikea. There are two things you need to do, though. You should probably remove the tiny plastic feet, and use some high-heat Loctite when screwing on the pegs, as they tend to loosen as the product accordions in and out.

Here are the specs:

Min. length: 3 ¼ "
Max. length: 19 ¾ "
Width: 5 ¾ "
Height: 4 "

I use them when I go over 4 or five racks on the Char-Griller. There are times when I have a big crowd over 30 to 40 people. They all like ribs so I use the racks. This way I can cook 8 or more racks at one time. I do try and use every other space to give room between the ribs so the smoke can get to them. I cook at 225 using the 3-2-1 method. They pull back nice and almost fall off the bone. Use only dry rub and apple juice when foiling.
Give the guests four different sauces to try. Sweet tomato based, Vinegar based, Mustard based and sweet & sour.

ribrack2.jpg

ribrack.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky