• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

who makes the best "polish sausage seasoning

cal1956

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Apr 14, 2015
thought i would give making " polish " sausage a try , anybody have a favorite ?

zippy12

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Oct 6, 2017
you can make your own... seach google or here for PS recipes I like the ones in grams and make sure your pork is not brined ... if so cut the salt your recipe...

cal1956

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Apr 14, 2015
i have looked at a couple on amazon and other places but like other seasonings its hit or miss when it comes to finding a good one , just hoping to get a consensus as to a good one like i did for "leggs " Italian seasoning several here recommended it and it turned out to be a keeper

chopsaw

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Dec 14, 2013
The sausage maker Polska Kielbasa is one I like for a pre mix .

zippy12

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Oct 6, 2017
C1956, IMHO I would purchase the Stanley Marianski book titled "Polish Sausage". Full of great recipes with easily obtainable spices!
except you upgrade the cuts of meat

thirdeye

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Dec 1, 2019
Generally speaking, regional sausage recipes will have a few base ingredients, with some signature spices added. Many formulations are very simple. A polish kielbasa (fresh) for example will typically have salt, white pepper and garlic. Then signature spices could be nutmeg or marjoram . Because salt amount can make or break a good formulation, it's best to make your seasoning from scratch and adjust seasonings to suit your taste.

MtnGoat

Joined Aug 2, 2021
I have made this one for Easter the past three years. Very close to what I remember when growing up. My brother and family think so too.

I cut the garlic back to 6 cloves because it is pretty strong with 8.

chef jimmyj

Epic Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Joined May 12, 2011
Having grown up in a Polish Family, Grandparents made their own Kielbasa, and having a Polish Deli a few blocks away. Kielbasa was simple, Salt, Black Pepper, Cure and Garlic, maybe a bit of Marjoram. Both Grandfathers passed when I was a child and never got recipes. BUT...The following is Exactly the flavor I and my Polish Wife, grew up eating with the addition of 0.5g/Kg Marjoram added...JJ

zwiller

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Nov 16, 2016
Heads up: With any so called "simple recipe" use the best and freshest ingredients you can. I grind all my spices immediately before making. You guys sure on BLACK pepper? I thought for sure white for kielbasa.

PolishDeli

Meat Mopper
Joined Oct 9, 2018
In Poland, each city has an old town square, a catholic church, and a regional sausage.

Here's a rabbit hole:

In the end, all the smoked Kiełbasy are very similar to one another.

I strongly recommend these two classics:

If you're smoking

If you're not smoking

chef jimmyj

Epic Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Joined May 12, 2011
Heads up: With any so called "simple recipe" use the best and freshest ingredients you can. I grind all my spices immediately before making. You guys sure on BLACK pepper? I thought for sure white for kielbasa.
Maybe it was the region the owners of the the 3 area Polish Delis came from, but they all used Black Pepper...Or, there were Scary Black Specks of Unknown Origin!...JJ

Canned-Crickets-New-1.jpg

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.