Who cut the cheese?

Discussion in 'Cheese' started by hero23, Sep 24, 2010.

1. hero23

hero23 Newbie

I did and I'm smoking it! This is my 1st time trying this but it is looking good. Mild cheddar split six ways. I don't have a vacuum seal, so my question is... should I wrap the cheese or is it ok to put it in a zip lock bag? Time to go check on it again. Thanks!

2. scarbelly

scarbelly Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Since you do not have a vac sealer here is how I would do it - wrap each piece in plastic wrap and stick into a baggie - try to suck all the air out and let it sit for 2 weeks to ripen

Get some pics up so we can see what you did

3. rdknb

rdknb Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Zip lock make a cheap freezer sealer.  it is a pump and works fine if you are doing a lot. 

4. richoso1

richoso1 Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

5. I have a FoodSaver Vacuum Sealer it does a great job of sucking out the the air and sealing against freezer burn it would be a wise investment to get one they have so many uses other than using for food.

6. scarbelly

scarbelly Smoking Guru OTBS Member

I have one too and have been using it for about 15 or more years. We first got it when we had a small catering company. They work great and have saved me lots of $$$   

7. mballi3011

mballi3011 Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

[​IMG]

The food saver is the best bet. Now it wil pay for itself in no time. But for the cheeses I would use the zip-loc bags. Heck we all did before we had the food saver sysytems.