Who cooks chicken thighs and do you inject them

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
love em, my favorite piece of chicken, don't inject em just rub em and a little sauce toward the end, one sugestion though after they are ready throw em on a hot grill to crisp the skin it always gets a little rubbery off the smoker ,

What BBQ Engineer said....
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

i do a short brine, put some rub on and smoke them with apple/ cherry.

I have injected them before
I have brined them before
I have wrapped them in bacon before
I have just put a rub on and smoked them too
I always put a rub on them
If you care about the skin smoke them at higher temps or finish on a grill

Is there a bad way to smoke a chicken thigh I don't think so each way works well and I suggest trying them different ways to see which you like best

Darn it now I gotta try something new
biggrin.gif

Actually what I was trying to suggest was trying them different ways then figure out which is best for each persons tastes. I've found they all taste pretty good and so I don't really have a set way to do them just depends on my mood and the time I have to work with

At best I have marinaded them in Mojo Crillio for 4 hours, but mostly just use Memphis Rub. I never bother to brine, just don't see the need. miamirick is right about the hot grill.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

From Smoker

To Grill

I normally don't inject them but have and they are good that way but I prefer to just love 'em up and rub 'em down.
Thought thighs make for a good cured little treat as well.

I'm a thigh man myself. I like to inject them with jalapeno juice from the canned jalapenos, I actually like serrano's better. Give them a rub with your favorite rub and apple, cherry, maple wood combo for me.

I like chicken thighs myself. I started putting parkay in the bottom of my muffin pan, Don't tell myron, this is our secret ok? then cook to 165* and sauce them.

interesting, and good idea. I am doing some thighs today for some gumbo tomorrow, might try this twist.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

I've injected a few times, usually when I'm doing whole or halved yard bird. Typically do a cajun inject, I've tried it on thighs (which are my favorite chicken to smoke) but on thighs alone seems that there is enough meat to take much of the goodness.

Of course just a rub is a delight. I've kind of gotten away from brushing anything on them, seems to take away from the intense rub flavor.

What I do is get the already cut thighs I peel back the flap of skin and rub right on the meat, then lay the skin back over for protection. When finished you flip open the lid and have nothing but delicious goodness!
icon_smile.gif

Oh and yeah I usually brine them too, the best thing about just thighs is just 1-2 hours and they are ready to smoke.

Here's a few pics of a brined, halved, injected on I did on a gas brinkman.

Love this stuff!

I did mopped this particular batch three times (apple cider vinegar, beer, bbq sauce, ketchup, garlic, liquid smoke, worcestershire, tabasco, black pepper, kosher salt).

Boy was it good!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky