Whiskey soaked wood chips?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

billrigsby

Original poster
Aug 15, 2008
Has anyone ever heard of or tried soaking their wood chips in whiskey as opposed to water?
A co-worker mentioned this to me, he has never done it but heard it somewhere.

You can buy the Jack Daniels Oak Barrel chips, (pre-soaked for your convenince) or if your like me just don't soak them at all. It really only prolongs the production of smoke.

Ive heard of it, it may give a good flavor if you leave some of the whiskey in them when u put the chip on the fire. I have used Jack Daniels oak wood chips (supposed to be made from old barrels) and couldnt really tell a difference from plain oak chips. Report back on the subject if you try it. Good luck
brian

I would recommend drinking the whiskey for maximum effect. If you insist on cooking with it I would use it in the mop or a sauce.

Whiskey is for soaking the liver if you ask me, but I'm sure it has been done. If you try it, let us know, we can still learn.

When I read this I got a pain in my side like my liver was punching me.. saying what a waste..lol..drink the booze and don't soak..makes the wood smolder instead of burning clean you want TBS..small hot fire..IMHO

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky