Which propane smoker should I get?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

nimrod1

Original poster
Mar 15, 2011
This is my second post.  I posted in the electric smoker section and the replies led me here.   I have a Little Chief smoker that does a decent job for fish and jerky but other items I usually have to finish in the oven.  Thus, I'm looking for sustained temp of 225 to 275.

1) How expensive are propane smokers to use? (ie: how fast do do they burn through the propane)

2) Which propane smoker should I get?  (Those I've noticed are The Smokey Mountain series, the Master Forge and the GOSM?)

3) Why should I go with propane?  Why should I not go with propane?  (PS:  I think I prefer convenience over tending/perfection)

I generally get 35-50 hours per 20 lb cylinder of propane

The smokey mountain series is the GOSM they were bought out but basically the same smoker

Propane smokers are great for the higher temps and give a better smoke ring than an electric if that matters to you.

The propane smokers aren't usually insulated like the MES is so in cold climates that may be a consideration.

Personally I own 2 GOSM's

So 35 to 50 hours.  How long would you cook say....two racks of ribs?  Thus how many meals of ribs can I get out of one tank?  My ignorance is due to the fact that I have an electric and usually cook partly in the oven. 

Ribs are one of the few things most of us cook by time and looks instead of temp. If you followed the 3-2-1 method that would be 6 hours per rib smoke.

You have gotten some good advice nimrod. I don't own a propane smoker, but the advice Piney gives you is golden. If you decide you would like to try a charcoal smoker the Weber Smokey Mountain is a very good choice. It's very well built, economical, easy to maintain steady temps & will produce a good smoke ring. I have to also say that the smoke ring will not change the flavor it just looks cool.If you are looking for convenience then I would look at the Masterbuilt Electric Smokers, they are a favorite of many of the members here.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky