Which model Gosm?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dexter

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jun 22, 2009
Got a couple of questions here. I am in the process of purchasing a propane smoker, which model gosm smoker would you all considered to be best, or is there another smoker that I should consider. I have smoked meat a couple of times, using other methods since joining the forum, but I do not like struggling so much to keep the temp. regulated. I am sure I need more practice. Thanks!!

All GOSM models are good but pretty much anything under 24" and you have to cut racks of ribs to get them into the smoker or roll them. The Browning Smoke Vault 24" also seems to be a good unit. Personally I have the GOSM wide body and its a good unit except the rib thing.

The gosm is a great unit. When you decide on one get the biggest unit. It's always better to grow into it than grow out of it. As 2 of my friends have found out very very quickly
biggrin.gif

Thanks for the responses. Is the largest gosm called the Big Block? If so does anyone have the model #? where was it purchased? I have seen some online, but I do not believe they were the largest.

As far as I know the big block is the largest GOSM and is 24" wide

I have one of the gosm and it is a really good and worth every dime. I have smoked on mine for years and love it. If you can get a 24" model grab it and let me know where you get it. I'm now starting to look for a larger unit myself.

Big Block all the way, It is worth the extra 50 bucks,,, I have the smaller one and I wish I would have gone bigger,,, But I will live... I think!!

when smoking on your gosm and using chunks do you have to lite them first then let them burn down and add them to the smoke box or can you just add them to the box and let them ignite from the burner.

I let the burner light mine. I did replace the stock chip box with a bigger stainless steel one I found at Lowes and it seems to do a better job. Many people feel the cast iron chip pan that comes with the smoker is too heavy or too small

I'd get the Big Block. You can replace the chip box/pan with a discarded cast iron skillet you could pickup at a goodwill store. I just put my wood chunks on the skillet and let the heat from the burner lite em up.

buy mine. I have the big block and it just sits since buying the traeger.

Mike if I didn't think the shipping would be crazy I'd sure take it off your hands mine is only the wide body and the big block would be great to have too

ditto, i would buy it too just for smoking sausage, the big block i have isnt big enuff to handle it when we do sausage. would allow me to get done in half the time if i had two!!! but jerry is right the shipping would be outrageous.

Dang it, aren't you two a couple of party poopers. you didn't even bother to ask what the purchase price would be before coming to conclusions that it would be over priced. LOL, Dont be haiting now.

I'd choose the big block, never regret having have the extra space for extra food.

I recently went through the gas smoker search. Narrowed it down to the larger GOSM and the Browning (Camp Chef) smoke Vault 24". Ended up with the 24" Vault and am very pleased. I think either would be fine. In either case I'd vote for the larger model. Most complaints I read are from people wishing they had the larger model.

If you decide on a Vault check out Sportsman Warehouse $259

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky