Which is better for pulled pork

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

geigs

Fire Starter
Original poster
Nov 8, 2006
Minnesota
Looking to do a shoulder/Butt to pull along with my Brisket this weekend - any opinions on which is better?

I am also assuming that Brisket and Pork will be smoked in the same way (as far as heat and lenght of time...allowing for more time because of more meat)

Thoughts?

Geigs,

Shoulder and Butt are the same cut of meat. Just two different names. Confusing - yes! The rear end of a pig is the ham.

Be sure to cook both the brisket and butt/shoulder by temperature. That is the best was to be sure of doneness. Depending on the weight of your pieces of meat one could take hours longer than the other.

Post pics if you can. We love food p0rn.

Take care, have fun, and do good!

Regards,

Meowey

I guess I didn't know that entirely - I just see them posted as seperate. I went onto read that there are two parts to a pork shoulder, the Boston Butt and the Picnic shoulder.

I will smoke by temp and try and post pictures!

Thanks for the reply!

Right, the picnic shoulder is a larger piece of meat that includes the butt. I prefer to use the butt for pulled pork. The picnic will also make good pulled pork, it's just that there is a little more work pulling it and getting out all of the extra connective tissue. You also need to remove some of the skin from a picnic so the smoke can get to the meat.

Good luck with your smoke. Enjoy!

Meowey

Large Picnics are usually referred to as Fresh Ham's. I don't recommend them for Pulled Pork, stick with the Butt's. If you plan on doing a Full Packer Brisket, I would start the Brisket a few hours earlier than the Butt's.

Jeff

Here is the finish of the Butt - didn't do the Brisket, saving for next week!

album_pic.php

And after pulling half...
album_pic.php

I tried using the album here in the forum...is there a post somewhere that I can't find on properly posing an image?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky