Which has darker meat shoulder or Boston butt?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Keen

Original poster
Nov 22, 2018
I Smoked a shoulder the other day. The shoulder meat came out tender and moist. However I noticed the meet was more of a white meat and dark meat.

Is a Boston butt darker meat cooked then a shoulder?

Also, are used apple wood chips in my master built electric smoker. I really could not taste much smoke in the meet. From what I have read it seems like I would’ve done a lot better with smoke to taste with hickory.

Is it possible that I would’ve noticed a dramatic difference in taste with hickory wood chips instead of the applewood chips?

Hickory is a much stronger wood.

Pork is white meat. I’ve never noticed much of a difference between picnic & butt meat. All looks the same to me.

34404835-D176-438F-9B1B-14B0804B47B4.png

Shoulder is butt so I think you were referring to the picnic roast.

Scott

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky