Where Was Bear??? (With SnowView)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Bearcarver

Gone but not forgotten RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Sep 12, 2009
Macungie, PA
"Thank You" to so many of you who were worried about me, but my MIA Status was mainly due to a lack of Volts, Amps, Watts, and internet service at the Bear Den.
It started snowing at 7:30 AM, last Saturday. 
At 11:30 AM, we already had 6" on the ground, and our electric had just gone out.
By 4 PM we had 12" of snow, and it kept coming until 12:30 AM, when the total on the ground here added up to 18" of a very heavy wet snow.

I was snow-blowing from 1:00 AM until 4:30 AM to get my areas cleaned up.

I could only go half way down my Son's driveway, because there was a 50,000 Volt electric cable down across his main driveway. He plowed the other end, and the secondary part of his driveway too, so he could get out, by-passing that cable.

Most of the leaves are still on the trees around here, and that is the reason everyone suffered so much damage. Trees are down all over the place in the area, and we just got our electric back last night, after nearly 6 days.

It took 4 days for the plows to get to my house, and 5 days for the electric company to show up in this area.

Although it was A PITA, we survived, and had a little fun here & there along the way.

Used my Weber "Q" a few times, and even made a few things on my woodstove (First time!).

I think I used about $40 worth of gas in the generator.

I replied to most PMs & emails I got from you guys, and I will get to the rest real soon.

Thanks to so many of you for your concern!!!    And I missed you all too !!!

Below are a few pics for your pleasure---LOL----Especially you Florida guys who miss out on all the white fun!!

Bear

We kept warm!!!

46c0b7d2_DSC03086.jpg

Brrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!

54f2158f_DSC03098copy.jpg

Hard on my trees!!!

9a407174_DSC03089copy.jpg

Our mailboxes are under the fallen trees:

32221943_DSC03108copy.jpg

My road looking North, beyond the area I cleaned up (looked like this for 4 days):

f54c9429_DSC03109copy.jpg

Same day---My road looking South beyond my driveway entrance---- Nice Tunnel, huh??

4d85c1ee_DSC03111copy.jpg

Hmmmmm, what's cooking???

91a62e97_DSC03117copy.jpg

Cream Chip Beef on Toast !!!!

7e2b0585_DSC03115copy.jpg

Plated up for Bear's first helping:

fcc65393_DSC03120copy.jpg

How 'bout some eggs????

bd724191_DSC03124copy.jpg

Fini

Wow, great pictures Bear. They make me so glad I live in Florida. I really hate the cold and 6 days without power would have me climbing the walls. I have a generator in case we have any bad storms or hurricanes but I have never had to endure anything longer than 6-8 hours without power. It's funny, you normally don't think about it but when you lose power you forget just how many things it affects. Always good to be prepared. Glad you and your family are safe. 

Wow....sorry to hear that Bear.  Glad you got by okay -- you have the tools and skills for it.  Great pictures....looks like what we'll have to soon here in North East Ohio.....

Hmmm, mystery solved. Thought the Bear had gone into hibernation for the winter. Glad you're OK,,,,,,being born & raised in NYC I've been through my share of snow and can't say I miss it...lol.

Sure you not here in Alaska wiff me???

LOL
RICH
Thanks Rich !!!

I'm sure you'll blow right by us in footage soon.

Bear

Great photo's Bear!

Glad your back, Buddy!
Thank You Al !!

Bear

Wow, great pictures Bear. They make me so glad I live in Florida. I really hate the cold and 6 days without power would have me climbing the walls. I have a generator in case we have any bad storms or hurricanes but I have never had to endure anything longer than 6-8 hours without power. It's funny, you normally don't think about it but when you lose power you forget just how many things it affects. Always good to be prepared. Glad you and your family are safe. 
Thanks Shooter!

The best words I can think of for these Nor'Easters--------"Serious PITA !!!"

Bear

Hey Buddy I had no idea you were in that mess but I was wondering where you were. Glad to see everything is ok...Take care...

Thanks for taking the hit for us Bear, them sort of storms usually track a little higher and dump on us. It's really nice to be off the grid for a bit, but after a day or so it gets old. glad ya got through it. Dan

Last edited:
Yay! I kinda thought that might be what was going on. Pictures are great Papa Bear. Glad you survived it. The wood burning stove is just beautiful as is your cabin. Hugs me brutha! Stay warm!

Hey Bear,

I was wondering where you had been, I thought the storm might have knocked out your power.

Really???  ummm..., you were out at 1:30 in the morning (I can't type that word, it locks up the 'puter), why couldn't it wait for the daytime?

I read you post until I came to the part about the pics, then I clicked on the scroll, closed my eyes and moved it to the bottom of the page, started reading from the last post up, that's some fine looking grub, what's that behind the stove, you got a picture of green grass, ......so you don't forget what it looks like.  LOL

Glad to see your back, ahhh...., stay warm!!!

Gene

18" that is what we usually get around here, only got about 8" here started around 6:30 am on Saturday.

No pictures, it is just something I am used to so figured why take pictures, I will be seeing it almost everyday very shortly.

The snow outside looking out your windows with the fire burning, just gives you a warm toasty feeling.

Man, too soon.
frown.gif
 I was raised in Texas and was used to seeing snow fall and melt immediately
biggrin.gif
,I would imagine how it would be to actually get snow on the ground , then I moved to oihO with Trish and found I hate Snow
help.gif

Goes to show you, be careful what you wish for......

just sayin'...

Good to hear from you Bear,gladyou're OK
icon14.gif

Stan   aka   oldschool

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky