Where to poke the chicken...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chdolfnz

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 30, 2007
Lancaster, PA
I am planning to smoke my first whole chicken tomorrow (5lb'er)...I am brining tonite, then onto the smoker in the am...I do have 2 questions 1) Where is the best place to put the temp. probe in the chicken to get the best accurate temp?...2) is it best to smoke it at a higher temp? (I think I remember other posts that people smoked at 300-350?) That is all for now....would prefer a crispy skin..if that helps!! Thanks
icon_rolleyes.gif

chdolfnz

Hey, put the temp probe in the thigh, not touching the bone, thats the slowest part of the bird to come up to temp. Yes, hi temp for chicken and crisp skin.
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif
The skin is the best part.

Hey Terry, I like your style of bird Q! Seriously, you gave some good advise, it can be used by all.

Thanks guys!!! I did put mayo on the bird and rubbed with some commericial rub(was in a hurry!)....Put the bird on at 8am this morn...very windy and cold...20-30 mph winds ..temps in the low 40's...my Old Smokey Electric smoker is cranked the whole way up and still only at about 225! Might be time to think about a new, more efficient smoker....sounds like a good excuse for an early x-mas gift!!! Any suggestions as to what kind to get..was thinking about a propane smoker? Something that will keep hot when it is cold out! Well, gotta go check the bird...Thanks again

chdolfnz

hopefully, with the wind blowing.....you have SOME sort of a wind break.....that will help out with temps........wind is the BIGGEST enemy of smoking....wind STEALS heat

d88de

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky