Where is the thigh?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokinfam

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Sep 27, 2007
Indiana
I am smoking a turkey right now. I know I need to place the thermometer in the thigh, but I am not sure where the thigh is located on the turkey. Could someone please give me directions on how to locate the thigh?
thanks.

Picture a bone-in turkey breast. Now look at a full turkey. Picture the "leg quarters" that are absent on the breast but present on the other. The meaty portion that would attach to the breast is the thigh. It's the meaty portion the leg attaches to.
Hope this helps! hard to put into words!

You should put it in the breast anyway. If you read off the thigh (dark meat) the white meat will come out dry. White meat cooks faster than dark meat, thus the BREAST DOWN idea.

In the picture below, the things on the left are his wings, the things on the right are the thigh and leg. picture the rounded part on top as the "knee". The thigh is in closer to the back of the body, "under" the knee joint..
71944927_bed4efa0b1.jpg

Well, as I am usually the geekiest one in the room, when I do a turkey in the oven, I put a thermo in both the breast and the thigh (I mean, they're like 10 bucks a piece as Lowes). If the breast starts to cook faster than the thigh.....and it always does, I fashion a tent that just covers the white meat.

The idea is breast meat cooks quicker, thus you put the breast down due to heat rising and being greater above the bird....which will be where the dark meat will be in this scenario. Breast meat 160º (USDA wants 165º), dark meat around 170º. If you shoot for dark meat temps your breast meat will usually be dry and no one wants a dry breast......big and juicy is best.
icon_cool.gif

Interesting therory Flash! I've never heard of doing a bird on it's breast.

I also check temps in the thigh and the breast.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky