Where can I get a food grade steel barrel to make a somker with in Lake George, ny.....Adirondack ar

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I have no idea but I can tell you that "food grade" is not necessary and actual makes it harder to build (as I found out the hard way). The food grade part applies to the liner that you are going to burn out anyways. If you can find an unlined steel drum that would work better and save you some time and effort.

I have no idea but I can tell you that "food grade" is not necessary and actual makes it harder to build (as I found out the hard way). The food grade part applies to the liner that you are going to burn out anyways. If you can find an unlined steel drum that would work better and save you some time and effort.
exactly right. No need for food grade. I would look for one that had a petroleum product in it, they are usually unlined. Feed stores, fuel depot's, candle makers, there are lots of places you can find barrels for little or no money.

I thought a drum that had fuel in it was no good?
It makes no difference whatsoever what was in the drum as you will be taking it all down to bare metal anyway and burning it out at very high temperature. I strongly discourage you from a food grade drum. They are actually a huge pain in the butt to get the liner out of. 

If you build a good fire in a drum that had oil and keep it burning for hours then all that oil will burn off making it safe to use.

You can rinse it out but if there was oil in it rinsing will make a mess. I burned mine out with pallets. Two burning sessions about 4 hours each got all of the outside paint off and most of the interior liner. If you get one that is unlined as mentioned above you will be able to avoid the grinding and sanding of the inside (which is miserable).

Thanks for the tips. i just found a place that has drums that had oil in them. I called and will be picking them up this weekend... I'm getting two of them for free.     I will post later what the finish product looks like.

Thanks again peeps!!!!

I do have one more question......after I have burned it......should i just paint the outside with the high heat paint?
You will want to drill your intake holes before Burning out. I think two pallets is about right for a real good burn out. As soon as the barrel cools you can sand any remaining paint off and paint. You want to also wash and scrub the inside out and oil it with vegetable oil or cooking spray so it doesn't rust. It will rust pretty quick if you don't get it coated fast. Make sure you are getting open head drums with removable lids.

I have seen where guys have cut the lid off a couple of inches down the side and attached a sleeve on the inside of the drum so the cut off lid could be used. Free is pretty good motivation to think about all the alternatives to junking the lids. Also sometimes you can find Weber 22 inch kettles on craigslist for super cheap or yard sales. It is yard sale season here coming up. Nice thing about that is you get a lot of the parts you need with the kettle.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky