When Brining

Discussion in 'Messages for All Guests and Members' started by ck311, Aug 15, 2008.

1. ck311

ck311 Smoke Blower SMF Premier Member

When you guys/girls brine a whole bird (chicken,turkey,Duck) What do you put it in to brine it and where do you put it over night? Does everyone have an empty or a spare fridge?

I got a duck I'm goinig to brine tonight and I'm kinda wondering what I should do with it. I'm thinking 5 gal bucket but I don't have enough room in the fridge for that.

2. richtee

richtee Smoking Guru OTBS Member

A heavy duty Ziplock will work. Evacuate all the air ya can. Should be able to find room for that.

3. fatback joe

fatback joe Master of the Pit OTBS Member

I have a spare fridge, but if I didn't........and I didn't think of Rich's idea.......I would probably put in a bucket and add ice or a cooler and add ice and leave a temp probe in there to alarm if the temps come anywhere close to 40 degrees.

4. richtee

richtee Smoking Guru OTBS Member

You COULD do that FBJ..but add the ice in a baggie. Don't wanna dilute the brine. Might just as well brine in the bag, unless quantities prohibit.

5. fatback joe

fatback joe Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Yes [​IMG] Good catch!

6. ck311

ck311 Smoke Blower SMF Premier Member

Thanks for the replys I think a plastic bag will work I think I got ones big enough to fit the duck in it.

7. travcoman45

travcoman45 Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Got me a spare fridge just fer smokin meats an beer! Got it fer free, put a $5 part in it, worked ever since! Otherwise, as others have said do it in a coller with several bags a ice floatin round with the duck. Good luck on the smoke!