What's with all the fiberglass in the Royal Oak?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

meandmytwodogs

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Feb 27, 2008
Beaver Lake/Plattsmouth, Nebraska
I use the Royal Oak lump coal and recently have noticed a lot of fiberglass insulation in the bags. Last one I opened had a hunk of it the size of a football! What is the deal with this and are there implications if I do not find it before putting the burning coals in my smoker?
Thanks for your help!

Dave

definetly contact them and file a conplaint/ concern , they need to look into that before someone winds up sick or with fiberglass in there throat . if you can post the number maybe others of us can call also and make them check it out

I've been using the Steak House lump all year. So far I have not had any "extras" in my bags. I always look closely at what I pour in my charcoal baskets anyway.
Good to know to look closer. Call them and report it like others have said.

First, contact them and let them know your issues/complaint. It has been posted here before that companies tend to give you an explaination and refund or certificate for free product.

In posts about rocks and things found in lump- they say it is usually loaded onto conveyors with heavy equipment ( front end loader) and when in gets near the ground it is common to find rocks and gravel.

Your situation is a little unique. Fiberglass is a bad thing to have in your grill/smoker fuel. They should respond quickly to it and give you a resolve.

Dave,
I was wondring were the RO was made? I understand it come from several countrys and the the united states. the one made in the USA is supposed to be the best and has some of the best reviews.
Royal Oak Charcoal Co.

Private Company, Headquarters Location
410 Selman St., Jacksonville, TN, United States
(903)586-2484, USA (903)586-6248 fax,
Primary SIC: Coal And Other Minerals And Ores, Primary NAICS: Coal and Other Mineral and Ore Merchant Wholesalers

Maybe it's just de ja vu but didn't I see a post similiar to this a month or so ago? I'm going to look in the past threads.

I had posted something similar in a Lump review thread about that time ago. What I had found was a piece of some synthetic matter:

It was suggested to contact RO on that thread as well. The website listed on the bag doesn't seem to work, and I was finally able to track down an 800# for their main plant in Roswell GA. It is 800-241-3955. The person I was transferred to had already left for the day, so I left a message to call me back.

We'll see how it goes.

I just off the phone with Anne at RO. Will be sending me a MO for what I assume to be a replacement bag. If anyone else is interested, their direct phone no is 678-461-3200. Anne seems to handle this type of situation and her EXT. is 3336.

Indeed it is. I pretty much explained to Ann that I understand a 'defect' can slip through the process and can happen to the best. I also advised her I would not be swayed from purchasing RO again.

Ive found several different things in the RO lump including the fiberglass,nails and a 2 lb rock! Its raw charcoal so ya get what ya get I guess.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky