• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

What type of wood to smoke paprika?

macnmotion

Joined Nov 22, 2021
I am growing Leutschauer Hungarian Paprika, which I will dry and grind into powder. I'd like to smoke some of the pods to make smoked paprika as well. From what I have read, Oak is traditionally used to make smoked paprika, however I cannot easily get that where I live. I currently have Hickory and Pecan -- would either of those be appropriate for smoked paprika? I also have cherry and apple but I'm assuming fruit wood isn't desired. Any suggestions would be great.

Attachments

chopsaw

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Dec 14, 2013
How seasoned is your smoker ? Might not even need any wood to get a light smoke flavor .
I dry peppers in a well seasoned MES 30 . Always has a hint of smoke .

macnmotion

Joined Nov 22, 2021
It's well seasoned. However, growing these chilis takes many months -- I'd hate to smoke them without additional wood only to find they aren't smoky enough.

macnmotion

Joined Nov 22, 2021
The aroma is so much nicer than the plan palrika I dried a couple weeks ago. I love smokds foods, I'm sure that has something to do with it.

It's as hot as the plain paptika. Leutschauer is one of the hotter paptikas, but the flesh is also quite sweet before the heat hits. It's a very prolific grower -- highly recommended.

I've sprinkled it on french fries and it tasted great. And yesterday I used it in a Mexican dish, and while much of it's flavor melds with everything else the dish itself was fantastic.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.