what type of bacon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bkos

Fire Starter
Original poster
Oct 25, 2009
Western PA
I have tried ABTs only one time and found that the bacon was over powering since it was allready pre-smoked. Do you guys get your bacon from the butcher or use the store bought that allready has smoke flavor?

I use the cheapest store bought thin sliced bacon I can find for ABT's

I like the thin sliced stuff too The thick stuff does not seem to get done in time

Dang, I usually buy the black label maple which runs me about 2.75. Think next time I'll try the cheap way and see what happens. Thanks for the tip.

Enlighten a newbie.

Bacon (on my current smoking capabilities 245-250 max) blows.

The fatties I have done are usually sliced, quick pan sear, topped with an over easy egg on toasted fresh bread. (uhh, no I am not a cardiologist)

I did some bacon wrapped chicken breasts, bird was just OK, bacon was
PDT_Armataz_01_27.gif

I understand for my tastes bacon needs to have some crisp, can I achieve this after smoking by pulling out the torch and giving it a little encouragement?

The only reason I have not jumped all over ABT's for an appetizer is the rubber bacon gum phenomenon I'm experiencing at the temps my ride is capable of.

Ideas / advice?

I can only think that you're not leaving them in there long enough. My abt's are smoked at between 220-230, and the bacon does crisp up after awhile. Thinnest bacon possible will help.

I would suggest leaving on a little longer. You might also try to locate your hot spots and try to move the ABT's close to those spots near the end to crisp it up. Of course, another idea would be throw them in a 400 degree oven for a few minutes at the end to finish up the bacon.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky