what type of bacon

Discussion in 'ABT's' started by bkos, Jan 4, 2010.

1. bkos

bkos Fire Starter

I have tried ABTs only one time and found that the bacon was over powering since it was allready pre-smoked. Do you guys get your bacon from the butcher or use the store bought that allready has smoke flavor?

2. pineywoods

pineywoods Smoking Guru Staff Member Administrator Group Lead SMF Premier Member

I use the cheapest store bought thin sliced bacon I can find for ABT's

3. rickw

rickw Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Same here.

4. scarbelly

scarbelly Smoking Guru OTBS Member

I like the thin sliced stuff too The thick stuff does not seem to get done in time

5. beer-b-q

beer-b-q Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Whatever is cheapest...

6. gene111

gene111 Smoking Fanatic

have to agree with everyone thin & cheap!!!!!!!!!

7. olewarthog

olewarthog Meat Mopper

Ditto.... the cheap, thin stuff works best on ABTs

8. rbranstner

rbranstner Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Ditto! Thin and cheap.

9. mballi3011

mballi3011 Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Thin and cheap here too.

10. Thin and cheap, usually Plumrose or Corn King

11. langemr

langemr Fire Starter

Dang, I usually buy the black label maple which runs me about 2.75. Think next time I'll try the cheap way and see what happens. Thanks for the tip.

12. bustintires

bustintires Smoke Blower

used the thin cheap stuff as well. altho the maple cured was for sure goofy tasting.

13. bkos

bkos Fire Starter

Thanks for the help all.

14. freshmeat

freshmeat Smoke Blower

Enlighten a newbie.

Bacon (on my current smoking capabilities 245-250 max) blows.

The fatties I have done are usually sliced, quick pan sear, topped with an over easy egg on toasted fresh bread. (uhh, no I am not a cardiologist)

I did some bacon wrapped chicken breasts, bird was just OK, bacon was [​IMG].

I understand for my tastes bacon needs to have some crisp, can I achieve this after smoking by pulling out the torch and giving it a little encouragement?

The only reason I have not jumped all over ABT's for an appetizer is the rubber bacon gum phenomenon I'm experiencing at the temps my ride is capable of.

Ideas / advice?

15. hoser

hoser Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member

I can only think that you're not leaving them in there long enough. My abt's are smoked at between 220-230, and the bacon does crisp up after awhile. Thinnest bacon possible will help.

16. morkdach

morkdach Master of the Pit OTBS Member

like the others said on the bacon or sometimes i just sprinkle bacon bits on them[​IMG]

17. enterprise

enterprise Fire Starter

Precooked turkey bacon. It is usually cheaper that the rest and it is healthier for ya....if your into that kind of thing.[​IMG]

18. Chhhheeeeaaaaapppppppp

19. Oscar Meyer , bought 10 lbs on sale $1.88 lb. I must have 15-20 frozen. 2 weeks ago it was 5+lb. I also use it in summer for BLT's.

20. pepeskitty

pepeskitty Smoking Fanatic

I would suggest leaving on a little longer. You might also try to locate your hot spots and try to move the ABT's close to those spots near the end to crisp it up. Of course, another idea would be throw them in a 400 degree oven for a few minutes at the end to finish up the bacon.