What to use for practice?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cubguy17

Meat Mopper
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Jan 29, 2008
Omaha, Nebraska
I came across a meat grinder from Dick's sporting goods normally priced 99.99 on sale for 39.97, (It was the last one) It say's it can grind 2 lbs of meat per minute, I don't know anything about these things so I don't know if I got a good deal or not but, pretty much I couldn't pass it up. I want to use it for making deer sausage, but beings that I got my GOSM for christmas I had to jerky up the two deer I shot right away, so what else do I use just pork butt or is there a better cut of meat to use for some practice?

I used to cut meat for a few years at the local store in my little home town thats what we used for sausage was boston butts i.e. its a really fatty part of the hog but has alot of flavor...
icon_razz.gif

Pork butt or shoulder is a good start. They are pretty hard to screw up. Just a simple rub and you get great sandwiches. You could also try loin.

Cub pork roast,pork butt,pork flank-leave the fat in there-makes a great sausage-I skin the grissle fat off-clogs my grinder-I add hi mountian spice&cure and makes wonderful sausage-than grind again 3/8s-than to the vertical.

Thanks Guy's think I'll grab a butt this weekend and give it a try. I did pick up some High Mountain spice and cure when I got the grinder. If I come across some deer meat do I go 50\50 butt and venison?

when you do sausage.......you want bout 30% fat..........and a normal boston butt, is bout perfect for that..............rock on dude.....and take pics

d88de
(GO CUBS)

I think he done did that Rich-long ago-hmmm maybe I was drunk and didn't notice.

CubGuy17,

Points to you for your post. I have been thinking about the same thing.
Lou Piniella was a GOD in Seattle, he owned the town, you guys are lucky to have him. I still have some VHS tapes of his pre-game interviews, he is classic old school, funny as hell & one of a kind. Some of the stories I have heard told about him when he was with the Mariners & in seattle are legendary. GO M's!

I'm a fan of Lou, I only wish A-Rod would have followed him in the offseason, their still buddies from those M's days.

I just did some sausage a few weeks ago for the first time. We used country style ribs which is just a pork shoulder cut into smaller pieces. There is a local place that has them on sale for 88 cents a pound all the time and they worked great for the grinder cause they are just the right size to go though there and you dont have to cut up the shoulder yourself.

If you're just wanting grinding practice, get some cheap round or chuck steak and make burger. You can also use this for snack stix, if you are wanting to practice sausage making.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky