|What to do with Mesquite saw dust

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sandtazam

Original poster
Sep 5, 2010
Not only do I like to bbq & smoke foods, I'm also a wood worker. One of the byproducts of my woodworking is Mesquite shavings. When I plane wood flat, I get small curly pieces of wood. I have a big bag of mesquite in this form. I'm wondering if this could be used for smoking and if so, how should I put it to use.

i would say use a handful every time the smokes stops from using them, being shavings like that soak then for bout 20 minutes and put them on the fire/charcol what ever you use....but let them stop dripping water first or squeeze them a bit first then on the heat........bob

icon_cool.gif

If I were you I would look up an old thread about the a-maze-smoker thingy. I saw someone made one out of a metal mess strainer and it worked well they said. The other thing is buy one of the a-maze-smoker thingy and you will have a bunch of sawdust to use in it.

Not sure if you could use it in the A-Maze-N smoker because it isn't actually sawdust, based upon your description of planing curls. But you could easily make foil pouches filled with the curls, poke a few holes in them and put them near the heat. Should provide a nice mesquite smoke.

I'll try squeezing it out and putting it in foil packets. I have a lot of it so this might work out great. Thanks everyone for your input.

Make a foil bag and ENJOY!!!

Way cheap way to smoke.  Keep an eye on the planer shavings, as they like to catch fire.  You'll just have to play with where you place the foil packet and see where it works best, without catching fire.  Possibly soak the shavings???

Todd

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky