What to do with Beef rib steak

Discussion in 'Beef' started by iso, Dec 20, 2007.

1. iso

iso Smoke Blower

Our houseguest gave us a fresh beef rib steak from a local butcher shop. Since I am firing up the smoker to make chex mix figured I would smoke this rib steak as well. I haven't taken it out of the butcher paper so I am not sure what the cut looks like. Not much into beef so I am not exactly sure what to do with it.

Any suggestions? Can this cut be used for pulled beef?

2. bigal

bigal Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

Hey, Iso. I maybe speak'n outta turn, but maybe some of us haven't heard/seen this cut yet, why no posts.

From an idiots point of view, I'd say this is a tender cut that should be treated like a steak.......somewhat. I still do steaks on the smoker and they take up to an hour to cook(to med well - well done).

Google it, or search here.

I also have a VERY good idea..........send it to me, I'll cook it and let you know how it tastes. [​IMG][​IMG]

How big is it? Can you take a pic for us to see?

Off the top of my head I don't see ya pull'n it. I am no expert, but I play one in my house. [​IMG]

good luck, glad you found the site! [​IMG]

3. flash

flash Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Marinade in Mojo Crillio, then smoke to an internal of 135 to 140 or the temps you prefer for your beef.

Meat Temperature Chart
    (Fahrenheit)
    Beef
    Rare 120-125
    Medium-rare 130-135
    Medium 140-145
    Medium-well 150-155
    Well done 160 +

4. fatback joe

fatback joe Master of the Pit OTBS Member

If it is what I am picturing, I think you would be happier grilling it than smoking it.

I am thinking along the same lines as BigAL

5. fatback joe

fatback joe Master of the Pit OTBS Member

6. flagriller

flagriller Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

I suspect it's actually ribeye or close to it. Tender cut, marinade and grilling would be best. Sear it on high heat, then move to a lower temp until desired doneness, I like med-rare.