What Size for Snack Sticks?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mneeley490

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 23, 2011
Everett, WA
I've made some caseless sticks with my Cabela's Jerky Blaster, but now I want to give cased ones a try. So I will be buying a long nozzle for the Blaster, and some collegen casings.

My question is, what is the normal size you guys make? From reading the threads here, it seems to really vary. I want something akin to the store-bought size. It's also tough converting fractions to millimeters, thanks very much manufacturers. I'm thinking, do I use a 3/8" nozzle and 21 mm casings?

Last edited:
There are usually 3 sizes for the snack sticks and they are 17 mm, 19 mm, and 21 mm. I usually see the 19 mm ones being used, but I've got a pack of the 21's at home. Any of these would work just fine to produce a good snack stick.

The nozzles I see for sale are 1/4", 3/8", and 1/2". I'm assuming 3/8" would work with those, or not?

Also, I use 95/5 beef for jerky, but it appears most folks go fattier with sticks?

Last edited:
I picked up the 3/8 LEM stainless tube from a member here and that should fit mine. Can't speak to it fitting anything else though it is pretty slender. 

It all depends on how you like your jerky as to what mix you use. I've seen people using as low as 75/25, but personally I wouldn't go any fattier than 80/20.

The nozzles I see for sale are 1/4", 3/8", and 1/2". I'm assuming 3/8" would work with those, or not?

Also, I use 95/5 beef for jerky, but it appears most folks go fattier with sticks?

Just my 2 cents, but I do 1/2" sticks ! I've done beef (80/20) and these turned out great... I've also done venison with 15% beef fat mixed in, they were good but I think next time I'll stick with the 20% ! IMHO, the 5% did make a difference !

I use a 3/8 tube with my 5 LB Lem when I use casings 19mm. When I do naked I use a 1/2" tube. You can use what you have or what you can find. their are no rules. I prefer 80/20 ground chuck. The last time I used 80/20 ground beef and could tell it was of lesser quality.

Happy smoken.

David

17mm is about the diameter of a dime like a slim jim. 19mm is about the diameter of a nickel like a beef stick with a piece of cheese with it. Most people use the 19mm. those 17's make for a lot of stuffing. 21mm's..... well about the thickness of a Oscar Mayer

Joe

17mm is about the diameter of a dime like a slim jim. 19mm is about the diameter of a nickel like a beef stick with a piece of cheese with it. Most people use the 19mm. those 17's make for a lot of stuffing. 21mm's..... well about the thickness of a Oscar Mayer

Joe
That's very helpful. I can work with visual aids 
sausage.gif

19mm is almost the same size as 3/4". (.748031")

I have the 3/8" tube and it works well for all snack sticks, however, be patient!  When you first use it, you're going to think that your meat batter has turned into epoxy, it's slow going at times with the 3/8" tube.  Coarse meat grinds make it even tougher.

For snack stick case diameter, my family and friends have decided that the 19mm is about right, and I have as well.  They smoke easily, cook fairly fast, and shrink up well for a dried look.

Just my $0.02.

Have fun! 
beercheer.gif

Thanks for the visuals! Yes, I think I'll be going with either the 17mm or 19mm.

I would not go with the 17mm.  I would go 19mm or even 21mm.  Remember, the stick will shrink in size as it is smoked/heated or dehydrated.  Also the 17mm casings are a pain to get on even the 3/8" stainless tubes. I also like to stuff my snack stick casings pretty tight for the same reason.  The 21mm is the easiest to work with IMO.

As to 90% lean beef, I would go 80/20 or add some fat to what you have.  Lean meat tends to be dry in snack sticks. You want the fat for that mouth feel you are expecting.  Just don't heat them over too high a temp as they will fat out which is also no good.

Joe
My diameters are what the finished product will be after they have been cooked.without binders and extra water using beef and pork... Extra water and binders will make them larger and plumper

19mm or nickel sticks....lol

Last edited:
I guess I'll see what my butcher has in stock. I'll probably try the 19 for the first run, or the 21 if he doesn't have it.

I use 15 to 19mm

for casing sizes 13-15mm you will need a 1/4" tube

3/8" tube for 16mm casing

7/16 tube for 16-21mm

straight stuffing tubes with little or no flare at the end.

13-15's are insane...lol

Last edited:
I would go with 22 mm for snack sticks.  Here are the general guidelines for types of sausage for sheep casings.

18 to 20 mm   snack or beer sticks

20 mm to 22 mm  breakfast small link sausage

22 mm to 24 mm  small hot dogs

24 mm to 26 mm  larger wieners [bockwurst style for example]

Then of course it's personal preference.  Reinhard

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky