What material to brace doors before cutting to prevent springing

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

aces0vr8s

Original poster
Jul 13, 2015
What thickness and width of material is typically used to brace doors in tank to prevent springing.tank is a light 1/4 or heavy 3/16 thick

I went around the local farm store and came up with a idea. I'm thinking of welding chain around the door approx 3/4" from the edges so I can still have room to weld a 3/16 1 1/2 inch steel seal/stopper around the outside edge. Would the chain work could weld every link on one side of door. Then weld the links where they touch. I am going to use welded chain for handles as well so it would add a nice accent around doors.

Last edited:
Thanks Dave I may give those a shot. I'm probably not the best fabricator but don't look too hard

Well Dave I didn't follow yours exactly but I used them as a design idea an modified to my tastes. Thanks for the idea. I'm trying to figure out how to attach a picture.

Last edited:
Is it OK to have a larger then reccomeded fb to cc opening? Used Dave's calculator and was wondering if instead of a 8" high opening if going with a 10" high opening would cause any issues in case I ever want to heat the warming box to smoking temps as well.

Alright so I was gonna go 10" for fb cc opening instead of 8. But I'd like my grate at 12" and 18" is there a reason it needa to be 4" from rf plate or is that just a personal preference thing.. Will 2 be acceptable?

2" could be a "dead zone" as far a air flow is concerned.... but that has a lot to do with placement of the exhaust.... you could also put diverters at the end of the CC to move smoke where you want it.....

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky