What makes Canadian bacon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

clermont

Original poster
Dec 26, 2007
Pa.
What makes Canadian Bacon ,Canadian Bacon, and not just pork loin?What is the difference,if there is one?Thanks

I had a buddy who worked in a pizza joint that said their canadian bacon was just sliced grocery store ham cut up. Hopefully that's not the case elsewhere.

well it is pork loin...but cured and smoked........that's what makes canadian bacon......
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Are you referring to the round bacon that is about 3 inches in diameter and not the type that is about 8 inches long and sliced from a slab????

wait till cowgirl comes around...........she makes, from her pictures......some WONDERFUL looking candian bacon.........she can answer ALL your questions........wet brine vs. dry brine........smoking temps.......brining times.......etc.

yup, but called peameal bacon...its still cured but just not smoked

it got its name traditionally from being rolled in yellow crushed peas, this was done to ensure better curing and longer shelf life.

I am Canadian, Eh!

Canadian Bacon Is Really A Smoked Ham..just Smaller.. Yes The Pork Loin Is Used To Make It..the Folks In Canada Know To Them Its Just Under Another Name..us Americans Geez We Have A Slice Of Ham For Breakfast Right Now And Agian..lets Cut Through The Bs.. Canadian Bacon Is Really Smoked Pork Loin..cured..how You Cure It Dont Matter.. Yes It Tastes Like Ham..but Fry It Up ..or Thin Cut It And Put It On Pizza With Pineapple And Call It Hawaian.. To Funny ..make Your Own ..cost To Much To Buy In The Store..sometimes We Confuse Our Selves. Lets Get It Straight Now......

MAV.........geez dude......when a couple people from canada tell US.....that its NOT always smoked, why do you take it upon yourself to argue.......my lord

Dosest Have To Be Smoked....dont Mean To Be A Head Case.. Can Be Done In An Oven Also.. And Be Great ....but If You Had A Choice How Would You Make It..

if i can get the pickle brine recipe outta squeezy, going to try it once the candian way..........corn meal, without smoking......just to compare........always looking for new and different ways to do the same thing we do the old tired way...........

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky