what kind of paprika do you use?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

reichl

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Mar 26, 2009
Wisconsin / Iowa
I have figured out that the paprika I am using does not taste very good in my rubs. I know there are multiple kinds of paprika and since paprika is a large part of most rubs in bbq, I was wondering what kind of paprika everyone else uses and what brand you would recomend...

This is the stuff I dont like.

I have used the spanish too and have the same feelings as you, but I think the preferred one in BBQ is Hungarian Paprika. Not positive though, I'm sure someone will chime in soon.

Well you see...the stuff you're showing right there, that sits in a plastic bottle for who knows how long, and costs 2 bucks, not yer best bet. Good rubs cost alot, cuz good ingredients cost alot. I personally use Hungarian from a well known local spice shop. It costs a few bucks more, but tastes better than colored chalk...
biggrin.gif

Ditto I like the hungarian paprike mysef but it is a little herder to fine for me that is. Is that a picture of you skating cause I was a professional skater for years.

it's actually a picture of Rodney Mullen. You were a professional skater? Thats awesome man, I wish I was operating on that level. I seem to go through cycles where I skate all the time, injure myself, stop skating for a couple months then pick it up again.

Back on topic: is there a link to a website that has good deals on quality spices?

I started using Sweet Paprika about 4 years ago, and I really liked it. Although I haven't been able to find it in my area for a couple of years now. Since then, I've been using Spice Island brand Smoked Paprika. It comes in a glass bottle and costs around $8.00 at my local supermarket. It really tastes great in all my rubs.

I grow my own.I use spanish paprika called garnett.I also grew a french paprika....The high quality fresh hungarian are excellent as well..I have not had luck growing hungarian or i would grow that too....

As mentioned some/alot of stuff in stores is old and of poor quality....

This years paprika crop....Nothing compares to fresh....

Dehydrated and packaged for long term storage.I grind as i need it.Less exposure to air etc....

Have been using just the stuff that is sold in grocery stores.
Found a place to order Hungarian so I will be doing that soon...

I think you willl notice a big difference paul.Paprika can get lost in some of the more complex rubs,but in simpler dishes it can really stand out...

I grow it for the color as well.I have learned over years how to let it fully mature...Can make a big difference in the comp chiles i grow for people who compete(and do very well) and a couple secret other peppers...
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif

The biggest problem you've got isn't the type, it's the brand. Try picking some up from Penzeys or another reputable spice dealer. I get all my spices & dry herbs from Penzeys. Try their Hungarian Sharp or Half Sharp and their Spanish Smoked varieties. If you buy in bulk (4 ozs or more) Penzeys is cheaper then the supermarket.

The supermarket stuff is only good for adding color or as garnish on top of your deviled eggs! :)

I shop at the local spice store, they have a huge selection of paprika in bulk. They let you take a small spoon, put some on the tip of your tongue and sample each type. It is easy to seperate out the ones that taste bestfrom the colored dust. Some is smoking hot, some is medium and some has no zip or flavour.

A huge bonus is that spices in bulk cost far less than the stale stuff you get in the tiny bottles.

I am very lucky in that we have a whole foods eporium 3 blocks from us.

That's what I usually end up with too. Of course I'm in Des Moines where the Tone's plant is located. So it's tough to find any other brand (other than McCormick) around here.

My neighbor works for Tone's so sometimes she'll bring me over big containers of stuff like your picture for me to try out. Free=good enough sometimes. LOL

FYI Tone's makes the Spice Islands stuff to. Supposedly it's supposed to be a higher quality than the stuff under the Tone's name. That's what they tell me anyway.

They also make the Durkee Brand stuff and Trader's Choice but I've never tried that or seen it. Maybe it's branded differently for different areas of the country/world.

I 've been using Hungarian and Spanish for a few years now, and I won't buy any other type for my taste.

You've got to be careful when buying paprika. Old paprika loses a lot of flavor real fast. Penzy's is great for fresh spices all around.

I use Spanish Pimenton paprika- sweet, bittersweet and hot that I get in three-packs from here, and it's fresh and top quality in small tins that won't go stale.

http://www.tienda.com/food/products/pk-01.html

Also like Hungarian- Szeged has a high turnover around here so it's fresh, and also get Penzy's Sweet Hungarian. By the way, Penzy's peppercorns are the best around.

http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penze...yspaprika.html

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky